Deck Maintenance Problem

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Critical Care, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a problem. I built a deck that overhangs and wraps around a koi pond. It's wonderful but there's a a major maintenance problem of not being able to use harsh chemicals (alkaloid lye) to strip the deck because of the fish. Any washing off of chemicals (deck stripper) is bound to get into the water, and lets just assume that covering the pond isn't going to work. Now, there are environmentally friendly deck stain removers, such as BioWash, but do these guys actually work and are they "fish friendly"? I'd hate to chance killing prize koi.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'd cover the pond no matter what you decide to use.
  3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

A problem about covering the pond is that any chemical washed off the deck will flow downward and onto the covering. At approximately 8 pounds per gallon, if you wash off the deck with – lets say with fifty gallons of water from a hose, then that’s 400 pounds on the cover. I think that even one gallon would be enough to force the cover down into the pond. Another idea is to maintain the deck during a “dry” winter spell when the pond is empty and the fish are inside; cover the hole with a liner, and then pump out the runoff. I still would like to avoid using these alkaloid chemicals if the others work.

4. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

How about sanding in conjunction with a dust collection system? You then could use a tarp over the pond to collect any wayward dust.;)

BTW, great looking pond/deck.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

put a piece of 2x4 in the middle of the pond to create a "tepee out of the tarp,the water will run right off.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i hade to cover my pond when i put on a roof i built a framework out of 2*4s and covered it with 3 tarps it was a pain but it worked if u take the fish out in winter that is when i would do it
  7. Terrell56

Terrell56 LawnSite Member

I'd just add some semi-tranparent stain to the existing.

Why do you want to strip it?

My hot water pressure washers removes anything with-out using harmful chemicals, just cover the pond while washing and that should do the trick.
  8. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Go ahead and do it. Cover the pond with two layers of commercial grade plastic wrap (stuff they use on construction sites) and put a bail pump on top of the plastic.
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I would love to tell you how to solve your problem but all I can think of is fill the pond with fish that taste good, just in case!!
  10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

LMAO , Mac. Maybe some freshwater catfish..mmm.

Seriously, IMHO, I'd exercise extreme caution whatever you decide to do.