Deck overhang, why so little on ZTRs

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by badbascom, May 15, 2012.

1. badbascom

badbascom LawnSite Member
    from Tx

Im curious as to why the professional end users dont demand more deck overhang on ZTRs. I see WB's with 10" or more inches yet ZTRs get 0-3". The reason I bring this up is that I have 2.2 acres with well over a couple hundred small trees + landscaping. I have no experience with ZTR's but I was all set on buy a 1 year old Ferris Evolution 48" until I found out it has zero overhang.

To summarize, Im wanting a machine that can make a clean circle around a tree without needing a 72" deck. Im looking at outfronts as they seem to have more overhang for what reason I dont know though.

2. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

The bigger the deck, the more overhang you will get. They have a wide stance and that is to compensate for center of gravity and stability. A 52 has a fair amount but not as much as a 60. If you want alot of overhang look for a 60" which will also cut down mowin time
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

One word>Hustler!

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Deck overhang will undoubtedly contribute to a greater propensity for scalping when on uneven ground...think outrigger effect here. Antiscalping wheels can only compensate so much. The longer a midmount mower is - will also contribute to scalping when cresting a ridge.