Deck Pitch Adjustment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smithers, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Lazer HP and the deck is currently at 1/8" pitch.

It does not stripe well at all and i want to increase the pitch to .25" hoping that will improve the stripes.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Tried searching, nothing relevant came up. :realmad:

any help would be appreciated. :waving:
  2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

The "pitch" refers to the amount the front of the deck is lower than the rear. I you currently have 1/8" pitch and want 1/4" pitch, then lower the front of the deck an additional 1/8".

To do this, use the adjusting screws/bolts that hold up the chains on the front of the deck. Just be sure to turn each one an equal amount, and use a tape measure (before and after).
  3. Smithers

do you mean the downstanding gold chains that hold the actual deck?

or the springs/chain rods that are horizontal?
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Use the threaded rods that link the front and rear link points.
    It's a simple adjustment.

Go 1/16" at a time. Then test cut. If it doesn't do better at 3/16" or 1/4" pitch then crank it back to 1/16" pitch or level. In my experience eXmarks just do not stripe all that well without the roller. In addition, the short bladed 44" and 48" decks are really finicky about pitch. When you go to 3/16"-1/4" pitch they start to loose vacuum, cut shabby and produce odd streak patterns, ect. There is a thread about this in the exmark forum. I believe it's titled something like "48" HP cutting bad" or something like that.
  5. Smithers

thanks, envy. i really appreciate it.

i was going thru the exmark threads last night...did not see much. but now i know what to look for.

it's odd.....i heard the exmarks DO stripe great without the striping kit. Expert has posted some pictures over the last few months and when you look at'd swear he has a roller. he has the 52" though....

I was always wondering what the threaded rods are, i know.
  6. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Actually George the stripes are from his 48". He said he likes the 52" but, likes the 48" even more.

When you can finally figure out what works best post some pics of your work.

I keep forgetting my digital at home and thats my excuse as to why I have yet to post pics of my work lol.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I think from 2002 and newer, you can adjust the rear of the deck with the SET SCREW where the bolt is that holds on to the gold chains.

8. Smithers

thanks, Rob, John...

i dont want to mess with a set screw becuase it means that it will require me to hold the deck while i loosen the set screw...i want an adjustable/screwable nut/bolt that will go in very small increments.

rob, i thought that expert has a 52 only. hmmm...must be getting old. how do you like the blade ballancer?

i have heard that tire pressure plays a factor in striping too...

also, just read a bunch of exmark posts and they said the short mowers, (44", 48") should have 0-1/8 pitch, no more. interesting...

i tried chains (another thread)...nothing.

i have tried ALL kinds of blades (gator, stock, wavy, stock over wavy)....still nothing.

is it time for $280 striping roller?????
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How high are you cutting? What is the actual height of your front blade tip when you are parked on a flat hard surface? Measure from the tips as they are pointed straight forward to the ground. If chains aren't even working, then something's up. You may be cutting too low.
  10. Smithers

i have not measured the height from tips to ground....but the height is set at 4.25"....that is on my own yard.

i got different grass mixture. at the client's i cut between 2.5-3.75" and nothing.

my dealer even said, "I have never seen them stripe without a roller"....which was odd to hear.