Deck Pitch - Why? What for?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by onelegjohn, May 8, 2004.

1. onelegjohn

onelegjohn LawnSite Member

This idea of Deck Pitch It seems to me that it infers an angle - I am under the impression that a perfectly level deck would bring the best cut.... Am I wrong? Why would I want the the front or back of the blade orbit lower or higher?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It is actually the front tips of the blades that cut. If a deck is set so the blades are perfectly level, there is still a certain amount of turbulence that causes push toward the front, and downward. This causes the gras to lay over some, and does not get a clean cut. With a positive pitch, the blades have a tendency to get enough "bite" to compensate for this. Too much, and it can tend to sacrifice surface cut and vacuum. When the front tips are higher (negative pitch), it lays the grass down, and does not cut properly.

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks oneleg.

i was thinking the same thing last night as i was sharpening my blades.

trevor

4. Trevors Lawn Care

So, IN order to do this deck pitch.. I want to drop the froont part of my deck down how much? are we talking a quarter inch or what?

thanks
    trevor

5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on the deck size. On 52" and above 1/8 to 1/4 inch is plenty. You only want the blade to cut at the front.

6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere makes a nifty lil tool for setting decks and blade heights. It only costs like 7 bucks.

7. Trevors Lawn Care

i am on a 44in gravely ZTR

8. Trevors Lawn Care

1/8th of an inch sound good?

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Having the deck level also increases the blade drag or engine load as the blades are cutting or incontact with the grass 100% of the time. Most makes recomend 1/4 to 1/2 in pitch.

10. Trevors Lawn Care

if that is what they recommend why not have it come stock with that deck pitch already set. Doesnt make sense.