Deck pitch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rixtag, Mar 14, 2001.

1. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I have searched the (lawnsite) world over and I have given up on this one. Could someone explain this to me, just a dumb old lawn mowin' fool. How does a correctly set up deck need to be pitch wise. I do not fully understand why the blades are not supposed to be parallel? Please , oh please help it's gettin close to cuttin' time

Rick

2. JOshua Gallerick

JOshua Gallerick LawnSite Member

you don't want the blades to parallel because they will double cut the grass. Double cut grass does not look good. A 1/4" pitch is what I use.

3. rixtag

from Lehi Ut

ok so do you "pitch" the front up or down?

4. JOshua Gallerick

JOshua Gallerick LawnSite Member

the back of the deck is 1/4" higher than the front

5. FastEddie

FastEddie LawnSite Member

It takes more horsepower when level because the mower blades contact or drag (not cut unless you have a negative pitch) through the grass on the rear 180 degrees and cut on the front 180 degrees. You want the pitch so that the front 180 cuts and the back 180 misses completly.

6. rixtag

from Lehi Ut

Ok so I know understand the whole pitch thing. I must ask though, how do I set it up that way. I have a 36 belt drive eXmark. I know how to level the deck but my spacers are 1/2 in thick?

7. FastEddie

FastEddie LawnSite Member

Tires air pressure- more in rear and less in front

8. rixtag

from Lehi Ut

I am not sure about that with the temperature raising the pressure. hotter temps = higher pressure? or is it not a big deal? so you level the deck the normal way and adjust tire pressure? any thing else or is it really that simple?

Rick

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Rick:

Before doing this, make sure you have all your tires aired up to the proper amount. Make sure you are on a level flat surface such as a garage floor. Also check for level, left to right and make sure the deck is set correctly.

10. rixtag

from Lehi Ut

I had it set previously to be level, using a level. but stone let me in on a little secret about getting bigger tires and that got me thinking about the deck pitch thing. I appreciate all of you help with this little dilemma. Thanks again, Fast Eddie, Joshua and Eric.

Rick