Deck Pitch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I took everyones advise and pitched the front of my deck 1/4"; yep, the cut was better, so were the stripes. My question is why? What is it about the deck pitch that works? I'm using the standard blades that came on the mower. Would it stripe even better if I added high lift blades now? Thanks in advance for any answers.

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i just adjusted mine last night...didnt try it out yet though so hopefully today im impressed with the results

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

What's happening is, the deck when pitched up in the back crates a vacuum that pulls the grass as it's going along. It will also create blow out in the front.

4. ExtExc

ExtExc LawnSite Member

pitch keeps the blades cutting in the front and keeps the lift pointed in the right direction... a good visual i use for lay-man sake is imagine a helicopter flying... kind of hard to fly forward if your flat or pitched backwards....

5. ALC-GregH

from PA

That's a very good example of what blade pitch is doing.

6. Jwengerd

Jwengerd LawnSite Member

so what are you guys raising the 1/4" the front or the back?

7. dw'struth

dw'struth LawnSite Member

Does more always = better. In other words, is 1/4" pitch always better than say 1/8" pitch or does it depend on the mower and other factors? thanks

8. 360 Lawn Service

360 Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Too much pitch and you will not utilze all of the blades cutting edge.

9. ALC-GregH

from PA

The back. The front should always be lower.

10. jcbabb

jcbabb LawnSite Member

Also, if you think about it, if the blade is higher in the front, then you are cutting each blade of grass shorter and shorter as you go past it. This causes more work for the blade and motor.
    Posted via Mobile Device