Deck pitching...what is the advantage?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big C, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Quick 36 and would like to know the advantages of slightly pitching the level of my deck....heard several people talk about it so I wanted to know...

2. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

Not sure if you're talking about what I think you are, but deck rake (or pitch) is supposed to be part of the deck setup, most decks are setup with a forward rake so that the leading edge is lower than the rear of the deck.

This creates a sharp leading cut and the proper vacuum to stand the grass up as it enters the underside.

My Ferris has a 1/4" deck rake, which is factory spec and it cuts very nicely. When I got it, the rake was very shallow, almost even, and it left a lot of stragglers.

3. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

Deck pitching only requires tuning after bad cut results etc. Buy a proper gauge and one can re-pitch norm is 1/8-1/4 is norm on most.
    If cutting ok dont touch.

4. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i had the pitch get so far off on one of my lazer z mowers that it would actually cut the grass shorter in the center of the deck

5. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a bent blade or bent spindle to me ?

6. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

nope .. it no longer does it i fooled with the pitch a little and it stopped doing it ... the pitch was way off 3/4 of an inch or better

7. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

You really don't need a guage. You can do it with wood blocks really easily. Measure the distance from the blade's lowest point down to the bottom of the deck (let's say that's 1/2" for illustrative purposes). Cut wood blocks, make the front 2"-1/2", minus your rake amount 1/4" we'll say. So, your front blocks would be 1 1/4" tall. Make the rear blocks 2"-1/2" or 1 1/2" tall.

Then lower the deck to the 2" position on your mower adjustment, let it rest on the blocks and level the deck. This will put your front blades at 2" exactly, and your rear at 2 1/4". Tighten front and rear deck adjustment bolts up. Viola. Level and rake should be perfect.

Just make sure you're on level concrete when you do this! And, read your manual. Some call for a steeper rake than others.

And, you'd be surprised how many dealers don't do a good job with this assembling mowers....even if you're getting a good cut, it might just be better with the proper setup...so check it and adjust if it's out.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with some here. Adjusting pitch is a tuning tool. If you're happy with the way it cuts leave it alone.

9. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

For 5 bucks, get the gauge.

10. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I experimented with pitching the deck last year on a 36" toro and it was much more susceptible to leaving uncut grass in between the two blades, especially when on a curve.

I went with no pitch and it alleviated all my cutting problems.