Deck Question???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WPLE, Jun 10, 2006.

1. WPLE

WPLE LawnSite Member

Here is the deal.

I currently have a MTDPro 52" Fixed deck, Hydro Wb. I purchased this mower used a couple years ago for a backup. Now I am needing to replace the deere that I use to get through gates.

The problem is, I cannot afford a new hydro. Only belt but I love the hydro so I would like to know if anyone has done this. Swap a 52" for 36" on a MTDPro? Been to two dealers, all they want to do is sell me a new mower. The shell would run me about 900 including shipping. One dealer did tell me the spindles should be the same, just one less. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Wesley

2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you saying you would like to take the mechanical parts from the 52 and put them on a 36?

kc

3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Your business model should have thought this out along time ago.

4. WPLE

WPLE LawnSite Member

Swap the deck. 52 for a 36. Everything else bolts on, casters, pulley's, spindles. Useing the same frame. Dealer said he had done a 48 to a 52 in. deck but never went down.

I searched but could not find anything on MTD/Cub decks.

5. WPLE

WPLE LawnSite Member

I think you mean I should have thought about this along time ago? The problem with the deere only recently appeared. It is 13 years old, LX178, I have got my money's worth out of the old thing.

6. WPLE

WPLE LawnSite Member

Has anybody ever done this?

7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

No what I mean is you have had 13 yrs to plan for a replacement mower. Now all of a sudden you dont have the funds. Poor planning, mismanagement of funds, bought to many bg shovels, etc... You should have a budget set up for emergencies as such stated. If you didnt you "failed to plan, and plan to fail".

8. WPLE

WPLE LawnSite Member

Just because I do not want to spend $4000 +/- (what it would take to purchase a hydro) on a mower I am only going to use 5 times a week does not mean I am a failure. Come on If switching those decks will work, it will cost me a grand, give or take. A new BELT drive scag is 2500 or so. The WB I have now is HYDRO. That is common sense, not failure.

It is ok to save money when you can isn't it? My business has been debt free for all but 1 of those 13 years, so I do not think I am failing.

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

What I would do is look for a used mower to repace this. Dont you ever use the advantage of the 52?

How big are these 5 you need use a 36 on. If they aint all that big consider a metro 26 new

OR

Sell the 52 and put the funds twoards a new or lightly used 36

10. WPLE

WPLE LawnSite Member

I originally bought the MTDPro as a backup for my 737 so I don't ever use it since it is a fixed deck.
    These are back yards with gates, small but to big to push. I have been pulling it around with forsale sign on it but no takers yet. You may not know where Iuka is but It is very small. I am planning to put it on ebay or something to try to move it.

The reason I want to keep it is because it is hydro, I can not replace it with a hydro so that is why I want to swap the decks if possible.