Deck repair and belt adjustment

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rockytopp, Mar 10, 2005.

1. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

I have fought this thing for a long time now and just when I think I have found an answer another stumbling block appears. :realmad:
    I have at this time been trying to repair an older Lowe's rider, I believe MTD. manufacture. These decks as you know are spring loaded, that is to say as you lower the deck, the deck is moves backward and the drive belt for the blades tighten. When returned to the highest postion or off notch, the belt slackens and the rotation of blades stop.
    Is the belt the only thing that adjust this function? I have looked and played with every thing under these head beating problems. I know if the belt is to long it won't engage till the lowest point is reached and if to short the blades run all the time.
    If any one has an answer for this crazy set up .... PLEASE tell me the secret.
    thanks for any and all. I know that a stick of dynamite is good. :p

2. mudpie

mudpie LawnSite Member

the "secret" I found for it or any mower is to get a belt from the mower manufacturer. some times they are hard to find and you will have to order them but they are the ones that will work. i had a customer that had an old western auto that was like yours seems like his had a big nut at the front axle to adj. the deck back or forward

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The first thing i'd do is go buy a new belt for the machine. That would more than likely slove your problem.

4. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I guess I knew the answer but just wanted to know I wasn't crazy. I still don't like the set up but when all is as it should be ....... it works :blush:

5. hard

hard LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have one of these "Spring Loaded" Decks and the big spring flew off while I was mowing. I can see where it hooks to the deck. Where does this spring hook to the frame of the mower? I cannot find a spot to hook it.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Below is a pic., If your unit doesn't look like this one post your model number and I will post a pic. of your unit.

Good Luck

MTD Deck Spring Mount.JPG

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

This may help. If your deck does not look like this one post some numbers and we will see what we can do.

MTD deck.JPG

8. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

This is one of those cases that a OEM belt is the only way to go.

Notice the last sentence of the blue type in the above post.

The same goes for the ground drive belts too.