1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Deck scraping tool

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BFreiburger, Jun 1, 2001.

1. BFreiburger

BFreiburger LawnSite Member

I found a tool that is a improvement on the paint scraper that is commonly used to clean the underside of mower decks.

It is called a Honey Bee Hive tool. They can be 8 to 10 inches long and 2 inches wide. It has the sharpened edge that is similar to the paint scaper. The other end has a 90 degree bend that is 1 1/2 inch long and sharpened. The advantage is you can clean and scrape by pushing and pulling. It works great!

They can come in painted or stainless steel models and cost approx $6 to 10 dollars.

Just used the internet search for Honey Bee equipment and there should be a number of venders with sites (Dadants, Kelly, Rocky Mountain Bee) to purchase from.

(Yes I do have Honey Bees.)
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

BFreib...--funny you would post that you kept bees. I wondered just yesterday if anyone here did that! I have always been interested in bees but it is so much work to do the whole routine. nontheless, I am sure it is rewarding.

3. Since I lawrence stone only go first class I personally use a
    long handled snap on gasket scraper.

Since it's Friday and raining now may I ask the question:

Champagne anyone?
  4. BFreiburger

BFreiburger LawnSite Member

Hey Lawrence,

Did you know that the typical honey bee hive has over 60,000 bees in the Summer? How about I send a hive or two over this Summer and you and the Bee's can discuss the concept of Class and where each of you sit on the issue! :laugh:Cheers!

Have a honey of a year everbody.
  5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I like using a Super Bar.
  6. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

I like the razor blade scrapers myself. Get the ones with the long handle and angled end. Work great.
  7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I've been using a 5-way painters tool for 2 years now.

You can sharpen it like a mower blade and the "pointy" side is great for cleaning out crevases and tight spots. Probably not the best tool but beats the regular "putty knife" by a mile!

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I welded an old 1" wood chisel to a 2' long flat screwdriver and it works great, keeps your head away from the crud too.
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I found a carpenters nail puller works real good. Hooked on one end and bent just enough on the other. Long enough to reach the middle of the deck on the smaller mowers..........not on the 72 though.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i use the used edger blades ...........always plentiful,sharpened a bit , rounded end,...free