deck settings

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Josh18, May 29, 2004.

1. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

How many spacers should be under the blade and how should the casters be set to get a 2 3/4" cut on my metro. I cannot figure out how to do it correctly. I would also like for it to stripe decently. TIA

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Josh,

It really depends upon what cutting height range youÂ’re going to be using most often. You really have two reasonable choices. One would be for axle setting C, which can give you a cutting height range between 1-7/8" and 3-1/2". The other is axle setting D which can give you a range between 2-3/8" and 4".

The axle C setting would be:
    Two 1/2" spacers and one 3/16 spacer below the caster and two blade spacers below the spindle.

If you use axle setting D you'll want:
    Three 1/2" spacers below the caster and three blade spacers below the spindle.

Either of these should stripe reasonably well and give you a great cut. I might give the axle D setting an edge in striping ability however.

Thanks,

Terry

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I would go with the higher deck setting, to give you more room underneath the deck. Allows the grass clippings more to get out from under the deck. My mowers (including a 48" metro) mow better with the decks high, and blades low.

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

josh, southern grasses are very hard to get a good stripe on unless you are cutting fescue or zoysia. bermuda is the worst.