Deck shakes at low idle

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by TiredOfWalking, Jun 5, 2005.

1. TiredOfWalking

TiredOfWalking LawnSite Member

I have a 2001 Super Z with only 65 hours on it. Yesterday I had it out and had to cut through some 3 foot grass. I went nice and slow and it went through it like butter. Only problem is I noticed my deck shakes back and forth at low idle. I didn't notice this before but I am not sure if it was or wasn't doing it. Anyway, my question is could I have done something that has caused damage to the machine? I didn't hit any rocks or stumps.

Thanks for the help.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Check your belt tension.
    Also make sure there is no grass build up (or a piece of stick, I have seen both) in the grooves of the deck pulley's.
    A little vibration (shake) is not unheard of, due to the slower speed and the slack in the belt at the lower speed.
    Of course check your blades and make sure they are balanced.

Pj

3. TiredOfWalking

TiredOfWalking LawnSite Member

PJ,

I think I found the problem. Today while going through some more tall grass I broke the 5in idler pulley. I think maybe it was wobbling and finally broke. I ordered a new one from J-Thomas and, once I replace it, I will let you know if that is the problem.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The idlers on your deck have been updated, and your not likely getting the new style from J-Thomas.
    We updated the bearing in those idler pulley's last year.
    I would get them through your dealer, and it is likely a warranty item also.

Pj