Deck size. 42in. or 50in.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hillibilly, Mar 19, 2006.

1. hillibilly

hillibilly LawnSite Member

Should I go for small size or up it to the 50in. I only have a couple of yards that the 50in wouldn't fit into. What are everybodies thoughts on deck sizes?

2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

My question would be how many lawns is only a couple (that it won't fit)? How many lawns will it cut? Do you have another mower for the ones that the 50" won't work on? The bigger the cut the less the time (in most cases). If you can get a larger cut on most lawns go for it.

3. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have a 42" Scag Z Cat (rider) and 42 suits most all my yards. The bummer is I can't find any "mulching blades" for the 42" - 3 blade set-up. Scag threatens to make them to fit my machine, but they haven't come up with them yet:confused:

hillndale

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Buy a mower you can run on all your properties.

5. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

42 or 50 that sound like a craftsman to me.

6. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

i have a 42 walker and it will fit in 95% of the back yards that i have. most privecy fence gates are 48 inchs

7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I would have to agree with that. Don't buy a bigger mower that won't fit on a few properties so you can gain time on the ones it will fit on, unless you are looking to buy two mowers.

8. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

I have a 44" Dixie. Fits me all around great! As far as not being able to find blades, I have mulching blades, x-blades, hi-lifts.

9. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 52 on a walker and 54 on a Huster wb, would NEVER go smaller, I actually weed eat 2 gated areas that take about 20 minutes each, but the savings in time on all my properties each week is WAY above moving down into the 40s, and I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER go 30s or 20s (been there, done that)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Why can't you find blades no dealer.