1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Deck size, 52" or 60"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pajohn, Feb 17, 2004.

1. pajohn

pajohn LawnSite Member
    from PA

Would be for residential work, mostly uneven, sloping lawns. Should I go with 52" for manuverability and better cut, or go with 60". Price difference is only $100.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

52 probably based on the fact you said there are mostly uneven sloping lawns.

We have both 52's and 61's WBs by Ferris. Unfortunately, 100 bucks for an additional 10 inches I might change my mind.
  3. ludwiglawncare

ludwiglawncare LawnSite Member

I run both, and find myself using the 52 for most of the resedential work. As you mentioned the manuevering capability is better and it is a little easier on gas. The small deck is less apt to scalp too. Are the engines the same hp?
  4. pajohn

pajohn LawnSite Member
    from PA

Sorry, should have given more info. This is for a Hustler Z with a 23hp Kawi. I really think the 52" would be better suited, but it's hard to turn down the extra size deck and larger tires for $100. And I like the fact that the deck will protrude out from the wheels on the 60"; it kind of is even with the wheels on the 52".
  5. ludwiglawncare

ludwiglawncare LawnSite Member

If your plan is to acquire lagrer commercial accounts you have a good point. Seems to be a great deal. If you are going to stay with the resedential I would stick with the 52. Oftentimes a 60 can be overkill on small resedential yards. I always bust my brother riding it in the yards where I tell him to walk. What are you going to do when it is family!!
  6. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I have both 52" and 60" and use the 60" for everything except those smaller props. we use the walkbehinds on. I would not buy anything smaller than a 60" in a rider unless it was a dedicated bagger. No scalping issues with it and it comes in handy on the larger properties. Go with the 60" now and I believe you will be happier down the road.
  7. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Keep in mind that a 52" will get into alot of fences still.
  8. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I bought a 52" Lazer Hp. Really wish I had gotten the 60", but I also aim at larger properites. I dont even carry a 21" on my trailer. I would rather do alot with the 52" and a little more trimming, than not so much with the 60" if you cant maneuver it around your properties. My ideal set-up this year would be a 60" or 72" Z and a 48" TT hp.
  9. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I use my 61" Surfer on any yard I can get it onto. You just get used to it. I remember the first time I used a 48''. It seemed like a brushog.