Deck size? Hmm bigger is better, but what about scalping?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by apples017, Mar 4, 2010.

1. apples017

apples017 LawnSite Member

Hey fella's. Tell me about deck sizes.

Lets assume I'm wanting to mow large blocks such as vacant lots, rural acreage etc.

Now every paddock or block or land is not always dead flat like a football field. So I think well a 72" deck would give the best productivity, but would have to scalp and not actually cut grass in low lying spots etc.

So then you say, righto, lets get a smaller deck so we don't scalp as much but then the productivity goes down?

It's a catch 22 isn't it? Unless you get one that has free moving blades, like each blade is hinged so it can move up and down individually.

2. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member

If you're mowing vacant lots and acreage are you really all that worried about scalping?

I prefer a 60" for any 3/4 acre or larger yard.

Under that a 48" is preferred by me.

3. apples017

apples017 LawnSite Member

If you're mowing vacant lots and acreage are you really all that worried about scalping?

Hmm, good point.

4. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

You learn what a 72" can do and how to make it work. Would it be the only mower on my trailer? Not a chance, but depending on a persons accounts it definitely has it's place on the trailer. I typically have a 21", 48", 61" and 72" on the trailer.