1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Deck size: how big is too big?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

With a flat lawn, any size mower deck will work, but with imperfect or natural un-landscaped lawns, what is the widest deck you are comfortable using and still getting a good cut of the lawn?
  2. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

In use a 52 or a 48.
  3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

60 in. with a footpedal to raise the deck while in motion.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'm using a 61" w/ the foot pedal like stated above. On residential, I use the 48" on the rough ones.
  5. tgaskill

tgaskill LawnSite Member

I run a 60" and a 72" Exmark with the foot assist deck. Both work great with practice and keeping your foot on the lever!
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

48" fixed deck because much like the guys with the foot pedal, I find the ability to raise the deck is essential and the fixed deck is a lot lighter than the float, so same principle, but different methods (yes it is different, float and fixed are machines apart).

52" isn't too much worse, but in the case of Toros, all 48's are fixed while all 52's are floats (unless this has changed recently).

As for the LARGEST deck? If it fits on the trailer, it's not too big :laugh:
    They used to make a 60" Wb, but I know nowadays 52" is the widest deck you can get in a Wb, at least new toros.
  7. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a 72" for most of my jobs...BUT...The 72 can be a real pain sometimes...not too much that you cant fit through areas...but for the ditches and banks...when you have all that deck hanging out it loves to dig in the turff...when your turning etc...Ithink a 50"-60" deck would be the ideal choice.
  8. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

I used to own a 72, but my yard was WIDE open, about 5 trees over 4 acres. My new house is only 1.8 acres with over 50 trees, I currently cut it with a 60, a 52 would be easier to maneuver in some spots.
  10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly. But next year if I can swing it, instead of one 60", I'm going with one 66" and one 48". Best of both worlds.:)