1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Deck size???... On new ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tejas241, Dec 2, 2004.

If you only had one ZTR mower what size deck would it have?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2005.
  1. 72"

2. 60"

3. 52"

4. 44"

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tejas241

tejas241 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone! Was wondering if you might want to give some advice on deck size? I am new as many of you know from my earlier posts. I have finally gotten a decent trailer and some other stuff. I believe that a good fast ZTR is the way to go as far as conserving time and overall quality of cut. Here is my delima, all things relative the cost to go to a 60" with usually a much better/more powerfull engine is not much versus the other sizes. I surely only have enough money/credit to get one, what size would you guys recomend?
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

It basically comes down to your area. I voted 52" and this size works well for me. I have considered a 60", but would have problems on smaller lawns scalping and fitting through gates.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think it depends on the size property you are mowing or hope to mow. I have a 48'' because I do mostly residential but I landed a nice comercial account that has a 6 acre wide open field for a front lawn. The 48'' is kinda small for it but if I had a 72'' I have about 30 other properties that it would be no good for. So I vote smaller if you can only get one and that would be a 52''
  4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I voted for the 60" just due to the versatility and ability to save time. I can still use the 60" on all my residential properties except for gated back yards (which I need a 32/36" mower for anyway).
  5. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

i voted a 60' cuz thats mostly what we run.. We got a 52 inch walker is cuts the grass at home and thats all... get a exmark ztr 60 cuz they will be awsome ... :D
  6. mowerman111

mowerman111 LawnSite Senior Member

Here where I'm at we don't have alot of huge areas of grass so I chose a walker with a 36" deck because I can fit through most gates with them, some of my competitors kinda of laughed,but I get to laugh when I drive by them and their in the back yard pushing a small walk behind mower cause they cant fit through the gate with their 42",44" etc. and I figured on our big properties I might have to make one or two more passes so what!
  7. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I can do residentials easily and it comes in real handy on the larger properties.
  8. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Three 18" blades rule...the most effective in everywhere, best stripe, best cut, least scalping, cuttings hills and most efficient on discharging without horrible clogging like bigger decks, less time cleaning each chamber at the end of day. 52" all the way both Z and WB, and Stander.
  9. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I voted for the 52". The smaller size of a 52 I think is a little less intimidating for a customer to see rolling across their lawn. You also notice a big difference in scalping, it's amazing what 8" difference is. Additionally it will go places a 60" can't. I have a 24 hp with 52, after using other combo's I think this works best for me and provides maximum efficiency. payup
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I am a fan of the 60" mowers. In fact I have 2 of them and I am a solo. I can cut smaller sized yards (under 10,000) in just a few passes and can easily handle yards well over 1 acre. Discharging without clumping has never been a problem and I do cut through some really thick, nasty lawns. Also if you get a deck with anti-scalp rollers on it then that isn't a problem in my experience. As far as gated backyards that 60s can't get to, I just use my 36" walkbehind.

I have also never had a single complaint about my mower being too big from a customer.