Deck size

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C & S, Mar 26, 2003.

1. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

I am looking into purchasing a new ZTR this year. I have both residential and some new commercial accounts that range anywhere from 3/4 acre to 5 acres. What is the popular deck size for something like this? I was thinking of a 48" deck but is that too small?

2. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a ZTR yet ( still old school) but I don't think I wouldn't go for less than a 52" if you have lawns that big.My dealer sold me a 52"WB and promised me it would feel just like my 48".He was right.He suggested at least a 52" ZTR since it is a good tradeoff in size and my lawns average 1/2 acre to 3 acres.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Chad, with lawns of that size I would go with a 60", even 3/4 acre is a decent size. You will do well with the bigger deck.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Most popular for those size lawns I will say would be 60".

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

For Five acre's TWOOOOOOO 60" ZTR'S!!!!!!!!!

img_0429 resized.jpg

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The answer is the biggest one that you can use on most all of your properties.

Gravely_Man

7. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

I would defenitly go with at least a 60" or 62". I have a 62" Toro and I mowed my father in laws place by myself in two hours the other day. It is five acres with a house in the middle.

8. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Id say at least look into a 61inch ZTR, maybe a Scag??? ;)
    I have a 52inch right now and thats starting to be a bit small for the properties i have.
    Matt

9. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

60 incher. it seem intimidating but once you get the hang of it the time savings will be extraordinary!!

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I agree here. I would get something that you can fit on your other properties as well. For me it would be 52".

MATT