Deck Sizes - I tried...then failed!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Feb 12, 2006.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a host of properties, large and small, commercial and residential, fenced and open. It has always been a pet-peeve of mine that a trailer of multiple brand, multiple sized mowers looks unprofessional. This is not necessarily true, just my personal opinion.

Well, in the last six months I achieved my dream of one vendor and two deck sizes. This dream, or wish was short-lived, because as of today, I'm back to (3) vendors of mowers, and (5) deck sizes; 21, 36, 48, 54 and 60.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that there is absolutely no one size, power, type, or brand of mower to recommend to someone entering the business. It depends on their accounts, their philosophy of mowing, their time constraints, scheduling, routing, dealer support and many other factors.

I plan to utilize each piece of equipment to maximize profits on each property.

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Hmm. I do not have that problem.

3. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I guess his philosophy centers on specializing on, say, sports fields or golf courses or the like. I mow mostly residential and I use different size and even brands of mowers on different properties. I even get comments on how I'm ready for anything. (I'm really not but we won't tell :) )
    There aren't enough golf courses, around here, who don't do their own work, to be able to specialize.

Equip yourself based on your business plan.

4. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever think the extra gas, maintenance, time to move on and off the trailer trumps any gain from having a 6 inch larger mower?

Those gatestar mowers with the swing up wing seem pretty efficient.

5. OnMyOwn

Maintenance / gas is not an issue. Regardless if your are running (1) mower for (2) hours, or (2) mowers for (1) hour...you are using the same amount of fuel. Regarding maintenance - this is a negligible cost surpassed by income from varying accounts that would be lost without specialized equipment. I guess I would see it as an opportunity income lost. Trailer shuffling is not an issue, as I run (2) trucks and (2) trailers. Route management is the effective tool to keep from equipment shuffling.

The potpourri of equipment comes not from desired shopping and careful selection, but capitalizing on great equipment deals whenever I am presented with them.

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

ever try a walker onmyown? its only kind we use.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

All I use is the Toro model 30165 48" fixed deck, most of my accounts are residential, 1/4 acre to an acre in size.

I have two of them, an 8-year old and a 1-year old.
    I carry one or the other with me.
    So, one mower, one weed-eater, one blower.

No pushmowers, no ztr's, only one deck size.

What's the problem?

I capitalize on great deals, too.
    Anytime the Toro model 30165 goes on sale, I buy one :)

8. OnMyOwn

I had a prior post about purchasing a Walker mower. I just cannot make myself come off the $$$ for a new mower. Most of the folks around here using Walker's keep them, so there is not a used market for the mower. I realize this speaks volumes as to their quality / dependability, but it comes down to $$$.

9. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

Image is everything

I run all Scags 48 52 61

all Stihl Trimmers 2 fs 85

all Echo blowers 2 pb 751

little wonder walk behind blower matches the Little wonder truck loader

all stihl saws 021 026 046

4 Honda HRC 215

Both trailers are black

Paint all handles of hand tools red

10. Richard Martin