1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Deck tool. Am I the only one???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Jun 25, 2002.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

A post in the Exmark section got my gears turning enough to fire up the haf broken digital camera the other day and snap a pic of something that I thought everybody uses to check deck cut height.

Turns out, many still use a ruler or tape measure :eek: to level your deck.

I've been using one like this since at least 1990. The original one has a shorter arm and will not reach all blade positions on the Lazer with the striping roller, so I bought this one with the longer arm. My first original one was purchased at my JD dealership, the second at my DC/Exmark dealership.

My dealer mechanic had one that is stainless steel and has engraved measurements, no name on his or even on this one. I would worry about the metal one bending if I ran over it or burried it in my tool box. The plastic is great and is virtually indestructable. They cost about 10 - 12 bucks, but are so handy that I'd spend up to $30 if I didn't have one.

No signs of any in any "mailorder" catalogs.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry :D

Forgot to attach pic!!!

blade height tool.jpg
  3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Calm down, Tommy....:D

There are (at least) two people in the whole world using them.

I got the little yellow John Deere plastic one.

4. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I've been using my John Deere model for quite a few years. Much better than a tape measure.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have the John Deere version also.
  6. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

Can these be gotten off of the Internet?
  7. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Those things are as handy as pockets on a shirt!!!

I got mine at the JD dealership several years ago

8. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

Never heard of this fine tool you have brought to my attention.
    I will stop in at the loal JD dealer and ck them out.
  9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

My Lesco dealer is selling the metal ones, but I think they are close to $50 or so. The engraved numbers were hard to read and I didb,t need one that bad. I would like to get a plastic one for $10 though.
  10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Those are cool. I cut pieces of hardwood flooring in 1/4 increments starting at 2.5(never use that one) up to 3.75. Drilled a hole in them and ran string through them. Mowing guage blocks. Good for checking height of one mower vs another and calibrating decks.