1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Deck wash system

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Big Bad Bob, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

I've seen a lot of homeowner mowers with a deck wash system that consists of a hose connection on the top of the deck. You attach your water hose, turn the water on, turn the deck on and, supposedly the water pressure in conjunction with the flow from the blades, cleans out the deck. First, is this a viable system and second, if it is, are there any commercial outfits that offer this as an option?
  2. jhsmith4

jhsmith4 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

Use a 5 in 1 tool (putty knife) and mo-deck!:hammerhead:
  3. John Stiles

John Stiles LawnSite Member

Great way to wash out the mandrel bearings!:laugh:
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

water aint gonna clean your deck off!!!
  5. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

Thanks guys. I was hoping to hear from a manufacturer or dealer on this subject. Maybe they would be cutting their own throat by answering. You know. It's good for a homeowners unit because...., but bad for a commercial unit because....
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Its good for homeowners because they think its a great selling point and they think its working. Its bad for commercial guys because we know better than to buy into some silly crap like that. Just one more thing that doesnt work and can break.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah man, best thing to use is a scraper of some kind, crowbars, long handled screwdrivers, most anything along those lines... I used to worry about it all the time, nowadays the deck is lucky if I clean up under it, that stuff gets up in there in seconds flat anyhow, it gets but so bad and that's all, falls off over time, whatever.

One thing I did notice thou, is in thick wet grass there is a tendency for the mower to discharge clumps a ways after one has gone through the thick part... A certain technique which involves being aware of this can save time and frustration, I usually drive my Wb near the woods and pop a wheelie, then drop the deck, once or twice usually does it. Sometimes disengaging the blades then re-engaging helps as well, weird how that works...
  8. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't made one for my latest mower. But I did make one for my JD riding mower. I made it out a couple of PVC pieces with a few small holes drilled into it, pointing up. It doesn't plug into the deck or anything, it just lays on the ground below the mowing deck. Turn on the water, turn on the blades, and it cleans the deck right up. Obviously, it doesn't work on the dried, hard, caked on stuff, but otherwise, it works pretty good. It should be heavy enough to keep from getting sucked up by the blades, but if you don't trust that, you can just make it long enough that it sticks out each side of the mower deck a little, then drop the deck down, so it is holding the pipe in place. We also aren't talking about pressure washer pressures, so the bearings aren't in any danger.
  9. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Thought about rhino lining the under side of the deck??? I was thinking of that the other day. That stuff is very thick and extremely strong....
  10. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Grass will not stick to rhino lining???