deck wheel mash down grass causing streaks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnchopper, Sep 21, 2004.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

one thing thats been a problem is that our Super Surfer is leaving steaks to the point people are complaining. The front deck castor wheel mainly on the right side which is the discharge side presses the grass down to where the blade cant cut it therefore leaving a streak of blades uncut. We tried different blades overlaping on my next pass to catch it I dont know what else to do anyone else having the problem ???? what mowers are you using?? and if not what mowers dont cause the problem. ;)

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

If that is a open deck design add baffling to tighten up the blade circles ala Exmark or Skag advantage. You can do this cheaply without welding by using Mulch kit parts.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That, or add more potassium to the grass to make it stand back up. Much of the turf around here is stressing right now due to dryness, and the ones that are hit with N are really in bad shape. They just fall over - lifeless.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

As pointed out you need more suction to pull the grass up or grass that is healthy that just stands back up after it has been pushed down. Have you also tried mowing even more slowly?

Gravely_Man

5. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

I have had this problem in the past also. Try mowing just a few inches to the left or right of where the grass is being pressed down and then alternate from week to week. Your lines will still look nice and it eliminates the mashed grass and streaks of uncut grass.

6. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Have you thought of telling the customer that is called "stripes" and the customers in the elite neighborhoods pay big money for that enhancement? :p

7. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

i luv it mbricker bet thought yet, but if that doesn't work cut it in two directions you know checkerboard like.

8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one or two jobs that have a slight problem with the grass looking mashed down where the wheels pass, but if the turf is less than 100%, it can be a tough problem to avoid. I've seen little 21" mowers do that, so it really doesn't necessarily have to be your mower that's the problem.

My rule of thumb? If it's not happening to most or all of my lawns, it probably is not my equipment that's the problem.

9. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Good point.

I've got one thats St Aug that does it. Mow it looks great, next day rows of uncut grass. Its a small prop so I just cut it again in a different direction. The problem went away when I cut and the grass is not wet from morning dew.