deck wheels

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by wynn, Jul 25, 2004.

1. wynn

wynn LawnSite Member

have a new super z deck wheels will not stay tight. dealer and i have tried every thing. now he says only thing to do is spot weld nut. then you will have to cut the bolt off. he says he has called the factory and of no help.:confused:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have never heard of this, I have seen them loosen up over many many hours, but nothing 2 3/4 inch wrenches couldn't take care of.
    How many hours are on the unit?
    E-mail me your info (name, model and serial #'s and dealer info)and I can have it looked into.

Pj

3. gardengnome

gardengnome LawnSite Member

I'm assuming you tried locktite? How about taking a cold chisel (screw driver) and blowing the thread on the bolt?

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The 1/2" bolts are not big enough to support the weight of the deck when you hit something any way and will always bend or brake. They are a pain in the butt, whether they loosen or bend and brake. Buy a box of bolts and do as Pj suggests. Its a daily routine to check certain nuts and bolts.

One thing all Hustler owners should consider doing. Weld a "skid bar" to the bottom of the deck discharge opening to prevent the blade droping down onto a rock or tree root or other object. Be sure to curve the front of the bar like a "ski " or roll it up so it won't dig into the ground. Scalp rollers won't save your discharge blade for this problem.

Gene

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

There ya go....... A "BEST" suggestion is there ever was one.
    Are you listening, Paul, PJ, Brian, Brian 1, John, and Frank. Please do this:blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

6. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

The ski may fix one problem but start another. If you go the length to the discharge opening it will slow the discharge of grass and clog. My white tractors have this bar and this is the trouble with it. Sounds good but creates another can of wormssssss!!!!:blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

7. Doc Pete

Since I have a "GT205" I understand what you are saying. With that in mind, I'm doing more experimenting with the superlift blades. As far as I can see, the grass is discharging above ground level and may not hit/catch the bar.
    Pete

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The skid bar is under the blade and does not affect the discharge in any way.

Gene

9. Doc Pete

Well, as I understand it, as least with the Fasttrack, grass did accumulate. I do think however, higher lift blades on the Fasttrack, would fix the problem.
    Pete