Decking Material - which is the best option?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by aplus2340, Jul 8, 2008.

1. aplus2340

aplus2340 LawnSite Member

I'm looking for opinions on decking material. I've researched them all, composite, pvc, traditional pressure treated, etc. After all is said and done, I'm still very confused. I've heard recent rumblings of severe mold issues with the composite(I've looked at Trex and Choicedeck). I didn't want to have the maintenance that comes with pressure treated, but now I am starting to rethink. The deck is going to be around 680-750sf and about 72 inches off the ground. It will get good sun exposure during the day. I live in central CT, so it's going to see a full range of weather conditions. Any help, opinions, experience is much appreciated!

2. Smith Farms

Smith Farms LawnSite Member

I am currently building a 625 sq ft deck out of IPE (Iron Wood). It is a bit more expensive than PT or Composite but the look is far superior. I used PT for the structure with concrete block pillars w/rock facade for the support columns.

I ordered my IPE from Banner Elk Tradding Co. in Atlanta, Ga. They were great people to deal with and pretty much sent me everything I needed in kit form (screws, bow-wrench, screwdriver bits, etc...).

I can get you some pictures if you would like.

SF

3. aplus2340

A picture would be great. How is it to work with? Heard it can be a bit tricky, but the overall quality seems to be worth it. Thanks for the info!

4. Smith Farms

It is a very hardwood and tough on blades but works beautifully. I will get some pictures today or tomorrow.

5. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

Ipe is the best wood for decks,it is not Iron wood ,pt is a big pain in the ass,why is this in hardscaping by the way?:)

6. aplus2340

Sorry, new to the site, the thread description seemed to point me in this direction. Where should I be looking to post this instead?

7. Smith Farms

Crab, This come from one of many sites that sell IPE. I'm no expert just trying to help.
    Thanks,
    SF

IPE (aka. Ironwood) is one of many commercial names used for the the imposing Lapacho group of trees from the various species of Tabebuia.The trees generally grow from 140 to 150 feet, but some can reach heights of 200 feet. Some other common names for the trees from this group include Bethbara and Lapacho, and a host of names used in the countries where the trees grow. The trees are mostly found in Brazil as well as throughout Central and South America and some of the Lesser Antilles.

8. Smith Farms

Here are a few pictures of the deck. It is a work in process with a lot left to go... The PT will be covered with white Hardie Trim and the bottom will be covered with a black steel mesh. I plan to do black wrought iron rails.

P1010482.jpg

P1010485.jpg

P1010501.jpg

P1010487.jpg

9. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

to me wood and the outdoors dont mix .
    too much maintenance and doesnt last long enough .
    i always think CONCRETE . patio or raised porch design .

pavers are another bad habit , maintenance and longevity
    issues also . give me concrete designs every time .

and concretes easy to work with .

10. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member