1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Decks getting clumped with grass when wet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. Magpie, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

I have enough power to get through some of the wet, long St. Augustine grass here in S. Florida. But the two-blade design of my mini fastrack leaves a strip of uncut grass in the middle of the stripe. This happens because the grass gets accumulated on the sides of each deck and the grass just lays down under this film of grass and pops back up after I pass over. I have noticed that if I go slow enough, the deck doesn't ever get a chance to fill up enough to cause enough accumulation, but seriously, this makes me want to buy a cheapo one-blade mower. My brothers' oneblade 30" Snapper rider cuts great in the wet grass, just loses a couple inches on has stripe.

WHo's had same problem and who has advice? If I wax the underside of the deck, will that help? I guess I could keep doing second passes but that is not excellent and I strive for excellence in my business. I am fearing that there is no remedy for this as there is no way to keep wet grass from sticking to any surface. Stupid problem.
  2. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

3. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Try a prodect from the JD dealer called slip plate its a graphite lubricant that dries really slick, use it on all mine
  4. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

You can get Slick Plate from Tractor Supply also; in spay paint form or Gallon size. It does work, but will wear off pretty fast.
    I used to use it, but found it faster to clean my deck when I noticed the cutting performance drop.
  5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

After we made the MEG MO blades and that was 12 yr. ago no more cleaning decks for us. Wet dry tall does not make a difference.
  6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Would you please explain how those blades can do that? I find it hard to believe that you can mow tall soaking wet grass and none stick to the deck.
  7. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing. Unless those blades are cutting the grass scissor-style under there, my imagination is not big enough to fathom how they could avoid grass-deck???
  8. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have noticed that if I go slow enough, the deck doesn't ever get a chance to fill up enough to cause enough accumulation.

What speed are you cutting at? If the grass is tall and wet like I know it gets in SOFla then you will need to cut the travel speed back to make up for what you are trying to do also does you mower deck have at least a 1/4 differece front to back of the deck to help with evacuating the cut grass, if the deck is perfectly flat front to back then you will get exsessive clumping this is true on all mowers not just yours.
    Hope this helps.
  9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

OEM blades disburse the air and grass above and below the whole length of the blade as the blade is cutting. Meg-Mo's disburses the air and grass the last five inches of the blade. Meg-Mo's cut the grass smaller and blows the grass out about 4 deck lengths. So with the grass being cut smaller and the high lift on the blades, the deck stays a lot cleaner.
  10. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

how long does mego mo spray and wd40 last?