Decks

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Travis Followell, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I was looking through my hustler super z brochure and read that the deck is 5 inches deep where on most other commercial mowers the decks are 5 1/2 inches deep. I know a 1/2 inch isn,t much but was just wondering why hustler didn't go ahead and make it a 1/2 inch deeper. Also noticed that the blade tip speed was slower on the Hustler's, 18,350 fpm for the 60" deck where other manufacture's blade tip speeds are around 19,000 fpm.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I dont have the answers to those questions, but I will forward this post to the department that can answer them.
    I will let you know what they have to say.

Pj

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Hustler is addressing many of these issues as we speak. FYI, tip speed is not everything, vacuum power is becoming the new area to improve cutting performance. In addition, a deep deck is not everything either, as we are finding out. Furthermore, the deck depth as advertized by manufacturer's depends on where they measure.
    Pete

4. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

As Pete said the tip speed is so minimal that you will not see it. The deck depth is a sales pitch. I suggest to get the mowers you re interested in and demo them on the same lawn. This is want you should decide what mower to buy.Not numbers.
    Hustler z drive different and act different. So check them out.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

....and if you keep on going down the line of accepted truths, you may just find out that everything you know about decks is WRONG.

6. Doc Pete

Well, as you and I have discussed, you are playing with a new design that works great..... Good luck,
    Pete

7. Envy Lawn Service

Thanks Pete... and I also hope that you did not take my use of the word "you" in the above post literally as being directed at you personally... LOL

8. Doc Pete

Na, because I put my foot in my mouth alot (G), I've had to become a bit more toughskinned (VBG).............

9. Fescue Farmer

Fescue Farmer LawnSite Member

Envy,

When will all of us frustrated, traditional mower deck operators be free from the burdens of clumps, scraggly cuts, blowout and improper discharge?

We need a deliverer! Just make sure its affordable................. :) :) :)

10. Envy Lawn Service

Fescue,

When? Well when one of these MFG's decides it's time to move beyond status quo and raise the bar.... and when one of them is willing to make an investment into doing so.

I've been able to eliminate 'all the above' while also being able to control/tune discharge distance without any of the problems re-occuring. If I told you how far the maximum throw is you'd call me a liar. It's very field marketable already and it's not even finished yet. Even so, there is still MUCH R&D and field testing to totally complete what I invision this deck to be as a finished product.... the end of all deck argument, side discharge and mulching.... in any conditions, in Anytown USA.