1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Decomposed Granite Smell?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gene $immons, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a patio extension which is a layer of decomposed granite on bottom, and larger rock on top.

I keep smelling a real bad odor from the area. Is this the decomposed granite?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
  2. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Ive never noticed a smell coming from using decomposed granite, at least I cant smell it over me.
  3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Granite does not smell. The term decomposed is not the same as rotted, but just weathered to a point of crumbling.

It may be from trapped moisture or other burried organic material like vegetation, animal, or ex-wife/husband. But, probably not the granite.
  4. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies,

The smell remains a mystery.

Maybe its just me:eek:
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I know when I have ground granite brought in for a base its a mixture of lime and granite and it stinks like tar for a couple of weeks.
  6. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Nup.............done lots of paths out of decomposed granit and no smells at all???