Decorative Curbing Investment: Worth It?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tmc8524, Feb 14, 2010.

1. tmc8524

tmc8524 LawnSite Member

I already do basic lawn care, landscaping, and maint, but I am highly considering getting into the decorative curbing business. The market here is wide open with little competition, but I am wondering if the profits will outway the time and investment. I have been looking at Tygar equipment bc they seem to be an all around good company, from equipment to training and support. Anyone with any experience please give me your insight on the business. Any advice from marketing to equipment is appreciated. Please give me good feed back so I don't make a $12,000 mistake.

2. tmc8524

tmc8524 LawnSite Member

"bump"....

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

What makes you think that people want to buy it right now? I've watched this for the last 15 years and it just does not seem to be something that many people are interested in, never mind willing to pay for.

4. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Curbing is huge in the Western US, but since moving to the East, I don't see much of it here even though I have seen 3-4 companies at our home shows. They are priced 3-4 times higher per foot here which may have something to do with it also. Tough call on rolling the dice. It would depend on your area. Areas with a higher median income will be better for you.

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You also have to consider that this is an add on to a landscape project rather than a project in its own right. Do you have enough landscape projects to support the idea that you will get a return on your investment if you used it on 25% of your projects?

Or, do you have little work and hope this steers work to you? If this is the case, I don't think it will make a difference to anything but your overhead.

6. tmc8524

tmc8524 LawnSite Member

Well, my thought process was to do good advertising and make enough from the first year to pay for the equipment. It would be an add-on and I can easily survive off of other basic lawn care. Really what I'm doing is looking for a good niche to get into that the market is not saturated with. I was really wondering if anyone has had success with curbing, and if so, or if not, then why? Thanks for the insigt though.

7. mario491

mario491 LawnSite Member

To much work and no money, we did it for 3 yrs and it really sucks

8. Bowbender

Bowbender LawnSite Member

I did it as as "add on" to my other services. It is time consuming and a lot of work. You have to watch the weather very closley as to not get caught in the rain. That alone makes it a pain to schedule, since you probably have other work that needs done when it is not raining. It really put me behind schedule. I did curbing with one helper, which was tough. I guess I could have gotten more help but the money wasn't there. It was a good experience, but not a money making experieince for me. The demand here in Pa. really isn't that big. I sold my stuff 2 years ago, and I really don't miss it. If you have the right situation I think there is money to be made with it, but you almost have to have a crew dedicated to doing curbing and nothing else.

9. tmc8524

tmc8524 LawnSite Member

Bowbender, did you try much advertising? I'm wondering if you did enough advertising and made people aware that it is out there, there might be more business. Just a thought, but what do you think the main reason you didn't feel it was successful? Trying to learn from others mistakes in case I decide to go through with this I'll know what not to do.

10. WiseCutLandscapingLLC

WiseCutLandscapingLLC LawnSite Member

if you want to get into it buy a used setup.... you can buy them for 75% cheaper sometimes.. iv seen a whole setup for 4grand....
    Tim