Decorative rock removal??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by D Felix, Aug 30, 2004.

1. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

We are in the planning stages of a wall removal and re-install (I posted pics of the walls in another thread), and was wondering if anyone had a good way to remove (to save) decorative rock. It's got fabric underneath, so we shouldn't be fighting getting it out of the soil.

Right now we're guesstimating around 15 tons needs to come up.

Anybody have any method that beats a couple of hombres raking it into a tractor/skid bucket?

I've got some ideas, but want to hear other ideas before I share them.... The reason is, I'm not sure how they would work or how cost effective they would be........

And, yes, the rock is worth saving, OUR wholesale cost on it is ~$130/ton!

Dan

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

hmmmm

I guess you want to get it to a solid area like asphalt or concrete so you can scoop it up easily for reinstallation?

Can you backdrag the majority of it out of there with a skid steer or tractor, then pull out the rest on the fabric -- sort of like tarping leaves? I asssume the fabric isn't strong or wide enough to pull out entirely?

If you tried to scoop it out, you'd almost undoubtedly end up grabbing the fabric too, and losing the rock in the soil???

I guess I'm not really sure. Would probably be clearer being able to see the site. Good luck however you go about it.

3. D Felix

It's the same rock that is on the top side of the walls in the thread that I started a couple of weeks ago on removing walls...

There's no solid surface around, unless you count the pavers below the walls.

I'd wondered about bringing in a power broom attachment on a skidsteer, but I'm afraid that the broom will quickly tear the fabric to shreds. I think a broom/paddle kombi-attachment for the weedeater may work, though it would be slower than the SS attachment.

The other thought I had was a vaccuum excavator, but I'm afraid those would be too costly. Haven't checked into them much yet though.........

Any other thoughts?

Dan

4. GreenMonster

from NH

I thought about a powerbroom, but thought it might be too slow (too much rock?).

If it's at the top of that wall, would your really want to get that close with a skid steer?

You figure out how to take down the wall?

5. D Felix

That's a concern too.:)

As for taking the wall down, don't know for sure yet, but we're thinking along the lines of a mini-ex and a thumb, and a couple "manuel" laborers for palletizing. I doubt the block will be re-used, but if it's palletized it'll be easier to deal with.... I may bring some home, if I can sneak it out!

Rough calculations show on the re-build I'm gonna produce around 700 cubic yards (loose) of soil! Gonna have to get a big machine. Fun, fun, fun!:D That, of course, is assuming they want to do it that way......

Dan

6. GreenMonster

from NH

I kinda thought a large skid (3000#) capacity with forks. Disassemble wall & palletize at same time. Then, you could reuse the block? I know you said reuse wasn't an issue, but it sure will be sad to see all that destroyed.
    :cry:

7. D Felix

The biggest problem with reuse is that there likely will not be enough blocks to install the new walls. And, as you probably know, it's nearly impossible to match 3-4 year old blocks to new ones when it comes to color.....

We're still in the planning stages though, so thing could/will change.

Dan

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hmm, here's what I would TRY to do. See if you can somehow roll the tarp and rock back about 3 feet on a leading ege then take your skid steer with a bucket and go under the fabric and scoop fabric and rock all in one pass. When the bucket gets full, go ahead of the bucket, rack back some of the rock and cut the fabric so that where you cut the fabric the rocks won't get on the dirt, making a mess. Then haul the rock and fabric to a pile, preferably on asphalt. Then you have pretty good size pieces of fabric that you can just pick through the pile and pull out, leaving the rock.

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly, I think good 'ol manual labor may yield the best results. Sometimes there just isn't an easy way to do a tough job. Doing it by hand will probably allow the best results for the original removal and any cleanup/fabric separation needing to be done later.

10. D Felix

That's kinda what I was thinking too, Randy.... I still need to check on cost of a vaccuum excavator though. Depending on cost/day and speed of pick-up, that may be the route to go. A local excavator has a trailer mounted unit that I've seen a few times, need to check with him.

How well do the bristle sweepers (kombi attachment) work compared to paddles for rock? We don't have either, but from what I remembert, one works better than the other.

Dan