Decorative stone suggestion.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KenH, Jul 21, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

A client of mine recently had a pool installed, with a plastic fence about 1' off the patio all the way around. We are going to put stone in this space, but on one side of the pool there is a slope immediately after the fence (Its pretty steep, probably 25-30 degrees). What do you think I should put here to hold the stone from falling down the hill??? Please dont say plastic edging......

2. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently working on a pool project very similar. The customer wanted nice river rock to be used, but the cutoff point of the river rock was sloped. I used large, round rocks which I call dinosaur eggs. They stick to the slope and do not take away from the natural look.

3. KenH

from CT

That is an idea. Did you have to bury them a bit??? or let gravity hold them???

4. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

They were placed in fresh topsoil, so they were buried some.

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Depending on how large the sloped area is, have you thought about a groundcover planting instead of stone?

6. KenH

from CT

They didnt want any plant material near the pool. BTW, how far does a ton of 1/2 inch stone go??? probably 2" or so deep. Am I right at about 250 sq ft??

7. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

How about some metal edging from planters' with fabric beneath? Couldn't go wrong with 3/4" river jacks from O & G. Do it once and forget it!

I have installed a line of mulch about 9" off of a fence on both sides to keep the weedwacking damage to a minimum. Just clean up the edge once in the spring and hit it with the weedwacker once in a while to keep it looking nice.

Brown bed edger demo, does the offer still stand?

8. KenH

from CT

Of course!!! Can you guess where the stone is for???

I thought about the steel edging......I might just run the edger through and see if the stone will hold with nothing. I planted the perrenial garden.......it came out pretty good, except for the stepping stones:D :D ;)

9. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

What can I say.

It was hot, the stones were big, the birds were PISSED!:confused:

See you Saturday

:D

10. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Make a two block high retaining wall....it will "retain" the stone and look nice around the pool