Dedicated trailer for spray-rig

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Craig Turf Management, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I removed my sprayer from the back of my truck, and am mounting it in a trailer that I will use for spraying only. My question is : Should I buy a battery and mount it on the trailer for the electric hose reel, or should I wire it to some type of connector hooked to the truck battery? How often would I need to charge a battery mounted to the trailer to assure I don't end up with 300' of hose stretched out and no power to reel it back in.
    Thanks, Bill!

2. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

I would set up a secondary battery in your truck (marine type deep draw, isolated circuit) and then run an extra wire out to your pumps through your harness. This lets you always have a secondary battery that will be charged for boosting, starting etc. The only drawback may be the amount of amps that your pumps will need. I don't know enough about the power equations to know whether you will have the power that you need at the pump.

Another alternative is to switch to a gas motor and pump.

Alan

3. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

Ooops. I guess that I should have read your post a little closer. If all that you are running is power for the hose reel, you should have lots of power through the system that I first suggested.

Alan

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Craig

I posted about this 11/5 Desiding what size tank to get.

5. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

O.K. Ric, I have your vote for a battery on the trailer. How did you do it? Can I wire this myself? What type of harness did you use so that you can disconnect it when not pulling the trailer?
    Thanks, Bill!

6. sunrise

sunrise Banned

I use a portable jumper box. At end of day I take it and recharge it at night. I always carry it with me thru out the year starts mowers,cold batterys in winter. Alot easier then a regular battery.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Craig

Boat stores sell 12 volt pugs for trolling motors. I ran 10 ga copper from the battery to the plug. And from the plug to the trailer battery. My truck charges the trailer battery when I drive. The only problem I have had is the plug getting rusted and not making contact.

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Bill, I have the set-up you describe. I got a deep cycle battery from Auto Zone and wired it myself. I will post a pic if you wish.

9. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Kirby,

Would you mind posting a picture? I'd appreciate it.

Eric

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Sure, I just need to take one, get it posted shortly.