1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dedicated trimmer or split boom with attachments?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Woodland, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have begun the quest for a new line trimmer as I just sold off my collection of old and tired specimens.

I don't have too many mowing accounts, about a days worth each week so I have primarily focused on what would be described as "high end consumer" models, i.e. commercial brand curved shaft models in the $200 range. One of these, well constructed of course, would certainly suit my needs. However, for a a bit more $$ I could upgrade to a strait-shaft, split boom model that I could use with other attachments. In particular, I generally have need for a brush cutter once or twice a year and the power broom and edger would be nice additions to the tool supply.

My concern is, will the lower end split booms be rugged enough to support different attachments? I could be happy with the dedicated trimmer if I won't really be gaining anything by upgrading to a split boom.
  2. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

My first weedeater was a curved shaft, didn't take long to take it back. First lawn I used it with; I couldn't get far enough under the deck to get the weeds.
  3. GreenerSideLC

GreenerSideLC LawnSite Member

listen to Woodland curve shaft are horrible. If you dont use the trimmer much go with the multi-tool. I started with one and have added a regular straight shaft trimmer and some attachment for my multi-tool. Its a perfect piece of equipment if you dont run it all day, 6 days a week.
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Ive used the split boom attachments on a cub cadet and a troy bilt which is ryobi i think, they wear out FAST, on and off for any light duty commercial stuff even, even if you only have 6 lawn accounts a week theyre done in a year or tow, most of th etimes where they join, that part bends, gets damaged, the drive shaft boot wears out, the motors are usually clanky and low grade.

I now have $300-$400 redmax units, a lot of $$ but will last a long time.
  5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont like the split shaft hand held equipment, because if that engine breaks you cant use any of the attachments. We buy dedicated trimmers, edger, hedge trimmers, etc. I would buy a dedicated trimmer and if you only need the other stuff like an pole pruner, etc. a few times a year rent it. We use mainly Stihl equipment buy also have one Shindawia Trimmer. I would suggest you go to the closest dealer and see what they carry.
  6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

When I first started, I only had a curved shaft trimmer. Now, even though I have a split shaft with a couple of attachments, I'll always hold on to the curved shaft (ECHO GTR 200) as it is very light and at the end of the day, my arms don't feel like crap. My suggestion is if you can swing it, get the curved shaft for trimming, then seek out some jobs that warrant the split shaft and go buy it! Trust me, the work is out there...you'll make the money to keep them both.
  7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^ is right i broke the flex shaft in a ryobi with a hedge trimmer attachment and completely rounded out the square part on the flex shaft in a brand new troybilt with the edger attachment .now i have dedicated equipment .
  8. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

If you can find an older 2 stroke Ryobi split shaft I suggest you go with them. They are tough as nails and the inventer of the split shaft...The Troy builts and Deeres and Cubs are just cheap knockoffs that you are buying a name only.

As for the brush cutter it is just a blade attachment that attaches where the trimmer head goes on straight shaft models. Look at mi sig line. I have had this trimmer about 7 years now, used year round (I have the snow blower attachment as well as most others) and I don't have enough nice things to say about it.

Get the straight shaft by all means. A curved will not give you the reach. I saw K-Mart has the Craftsman 2 cycle straight shaft 17" dual line trimmer on sale for $29...
  9. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Let me throw this out there. I am most likely going to go with Echo, regardless of what type of trimmer. I checked out the local distributer today and it seems that I can probably get a regular straight shaft for around the same price as a curved shaft so I will probably go straight. As for the split boom, any thoughts on the durability of Echo and how well the other attachments work?
  10. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an echo srm260 string trimmer and also a split pas260. With the multi tool i use the hedge trimmer and chainsaw attachment but not the string trimmer. I think that it consumes too much time to switch b/w each attachment to use it for a string trimmer unless thats your only tool. I would recommend getting a dedicated string trimmer, i really like my echo srm260, but ive used the smaller ones as well and they are sufficient for basic trimming. Good luck with your purchase.