1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dedication or pure stupidity?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 19, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the heat today is unbearable. you can see the air. it was almost as bad yesterday. we worked only 3 hrs yesterday doing some mulch, then packed it in. my neighbor the lawn guy trimmed bushes for 4 hrs, when he came home he was slurring, didn't have a drop of booze in him, the heat nearly killed him. we went out today, trimmed for 3.5 hrs. i had a cooler with 20 bottles of water, and ice. normally, i handle the heat pretty good. so, todays plan was to haul azz and get it done before it got too hot. pretty smart aint i? NOT!! i nearly collapsed. my helper, who was bred for this stuff, wasn't doing much better. we finished the trimming, did a half azzed cleanup of clippings, and hauled it out of there. i saw another friend cutting grass, he said last stop, he's done. the smart thing to do is stay inside on a day like today. the foolish thing to do, is to "tough it out". this can kill you. i aint never seen a guy slurring from overheating
  2. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

HAHAHAH!!! i've got to get me some of thoes people.....
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You northern boys are funny.

I came in for some lunch and now heading back out for all afternoon. Its just a normal day around here.
  4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Half day here. Too much humidity. 90 degrees and close to 100% humidity.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I started at 7:30 this morning and worked my regular Tuesday schedule. Off by 2:30 with a 20 minute lunch break. Temps topped at 98.2 with a heat index of 108 at 2:45(a few minutes ago). Lots and lots of fluids and an aspirin.
  6. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

It's like 100 degrees here , We did 4 hours!
  7. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I started mowing this morning at 7:45 AM, and I got all of my lawns sceduled for Tuesday done today (Tuesday). I just finished unloading the trailer, just in time too, since it is now raining like crazy (bad thunderstorm). It was really hot and humid here in Northern, NJ. I drank about 2 gallons of water when I was working today. It is really importaint to stay well hydrated in this heat!
  8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

insane here. We been starting at 6am. 1 day every 2 weeks we run 12 hours in the heat but rest of the days we can shuffle a bit so we work shorter days. If you cant take it dont push it. If you go home and drink a 12 pack of beer each night you wont be able to handle it. I need a sunshade thats for sure. I dont mind the heat and I can take it as long as Im sitting my butt on the mower but my guys trimming I make chill for a bit in the shade with a drink while I mow. We all finish about the same time and I dont see it as them slacking. They earn thier $
  9. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Don't complain...NJ is nothing when you talk heat. Down here in Florida, it is either roasting or soaking. Trying to finish route when there is no rain coming in, it is so hot and humid that I have like 5 shirts ready to be changed during mowing hrs, 3 gal of water in cooler, then rain pouring in, you stuck can't finish the route, have to wait till it stop. It has been pian in the butt since June.
    Well, at least business goes on and great, so I 'd better not complain.
  10. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Trimming bushes is the hardest thing for me to do in the heat. I won't do it on days like today. I finished my Tuesday lawns and was going to lay 3 yds of mulch, but said "no way". Been there, done that. It ain't worth it.