Deduct cable TV?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by PR Fect, Jan 8, 2005.

1. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

We run a home office. We take 100% the cost of this computer and the portion of the cable bill for the road runner high speed access. The IRS allows this if your home computer is used more than 50% for the business. My question is how about the rest of the cable bill? The part that is the cost for cable TV. I could not run the lawn service without the Weather Chanel, but does that justify the deduction? How many of you guys do right it off and do you take 100%?

2. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Probably not since the weather channel is online also and they could probably hang you that way.

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I don't see how you could deduct cable TV. I have never thought about deducting Cable internet. I will have to ask my accountant about that. I do have a website (which should qualify me) and I do research business on line.

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I deduct any computer related expenses..... everything from internet to a new computer. I think deducting a cable tv bill is pushing it though :cool:

5. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess its a reach and I do not think we will add the cable to our deductions. Soupy, for the time you spend on Lawn-Site alone you should get a double deduction! If uncle sams ask's, you tell him to get ahold of me. I'll set um straight for ya!

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Don't know on that. Probably can't because all the weather information and stock info and stuff is avail. on line like already said. If you talk to your accountant please tell us what he said about it.

7. Grass Gator

Grass Gator LawnSite Member

I would assume if you advertise on cable then it might be a deduction.

TV ads can be expensive.....unless you run a spot on the 3 AM Ronco infomercial....lol.

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

You can deduct the cost of the add, but it has nothing to do with owning cable TV. Unless now I can deduct my newspaper because I put an add in it.

9. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

The primary rule for a business deduction is that it's ordinary and necessary. Cable TV is pretty ify for a LCO

10. Grass Gator

Grass Gator LawnSite Member

I do deduct the newspaper subscription....and the ads we place in them. Advertising and competitive information source. My accountant gave me the green light on that two years ago...