deducted from bill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Jul 10, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

So the other day, Matt was cutting around a tree, and he broke a bird house. It wasn't attached well to the tree, but that is neither here nor there, he still broke it. He called the customer later that evening to tell her he broke it, and said to buy a new one and just send him the receipt for it. She said ok.

Today we received her payment for June, and she took it upon herself to deduct from the bill what she said she paid for the bird house. She said she bought a new one, but could not find the receipt. She said, and I quote, "if you want to check the price, you can go to lowes to find it."

Personally i think that is nervy. If she just bought the new one, there's no reason why she couldn't provide the receipt, and besides, I don't think it was up to her to deduct it from the June bill. I believe that would be up to us to reimburse her.
    You like someone automatically deducting from the bill like that? She's a first year customer, not very impressed with her.

Oh and before someone asks, it was 30 bucks off the bill.
  2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Your not impressed with what she did i know . And also having her as a 1st year costumer to? She also sounds like a little old lady ? That would explain everything LOL.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

NO,you tried to do the right thing you have a pita customer simple after time it will get worse.
  4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I never allow for customers to "deduct" from the bill.
    When asked by the infrequent customers on why I have re-invoiced them I explain that their "deducting" messes up my accounting process - not to mention my firm policy of "No Receipt=No$".
    Quite obviously I do not know this customer of yours but trust your instincts in this matter - if you think she is nervy now just wait until summer time.
  5. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

She was in the wrong for deducting it upon herself, but you can't forget that one of your workers broke her property. $30 isn't the end of the world, however I might pay a little closer attention to her payments from know on. And it is already summer time.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

O please get over it.........

She saved you the drive and the time of going and getting one, then she saved you the time and a stamp of mailing her a check.......

come on, surely you have better things to do
  7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

a little more blunt than i would have put it but she pretty much just cut out like 3 steps in this situation so write it off in the paper work you would of had to anyway and let it pass
  8. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

No biggy if your worried about it and shes not a good customer drop her. Whats the difference if she deducted it or not, personally deducting it saves you time and money. Oh yea, she had to drive to Lowes with her gas and her time and pick up a new birdhouse, I personally would have replaced it myself.
  9. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

I would roll with the idea she did it to save you effort

the problem is with no reciept and you not paying for it now you can't deduct it

with my luck that 30 difference would push me into the next bracket somehow :cry: :dizzy:
  10. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Nope I would have said I need the receipt to deduct on my taxes. She needs to produce one for you. I am sure many will disagree but I think we all get taking advantage of and this just goes to show another way to rip off the lawn maintenance man.