deduction loopholes????

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by nelson279, Mar 16, 2003.

1. nelson279

nelson279 LawnSite Member

As a one-man operation, besides equipment, repairs, mileage, home office, etc., uniforms, supplies, what other deductions can be used to lower taxable income that I am overlooking? Are there any loopholes that I'm missing? My tax preparer is supposedly advising me, but I like to be on top of things to make sure I catch what he might forget, if anything.

2. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Buy the book "How To Pay Zero Taxes". It is full of good, legal loopholes that a lot of people never think about. It has been helpful for me.

3. SummitFarmer

SummitFarmer LawnSite Member

How about getting a CPA??

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't you read his initial post?

5. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

fuel
    advertising
    office supplies
    insurance
    professional fees(accountant and or lawyer)

6. nelson279

nelson279 LawnSite Member

I have a CPA but you still should know what he/she is doing with your numbers.
    You just never know what they can be missing so is always good to ask I think ;)

Thank you anyway

7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Use the Search button at the top of the page and search for 'deduction'. You should find a lot of threads on the topic.

8. adamc6

adamc6 LawnSite Member

actually, your uniforms are not deductable on taxes because they dont fall under a specialized uniform.... one thing is to keep a mileage log for all your business related driving (estimates, post office, anything) because it's a 36.5 cent per mile deduction. Also any entertainment or meal expences are 50 % deductable.... keep a good record, and good luck...

Adam

9. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Even though I don't classify my company shirts as uniforms, I consider them as an advertising expense, which is deductible. I also sponsor a softball team and deduct the shirts as an advertising expense.
    The mileage deduction for 2003 has been changed to .36/mile.

10. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you have a good and trustworhty CPA. They know the Law and you should as well be well informed. If you think its legal make sure you check the tax laws so you and your CPA can come to the same loopholes. I would read up on all you can about taxes. Good Luck and God Speed. Do the right thing!!!!:cool: