deep decks vs shallow decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnchopper, Feb 8, 2005.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

what is the difference or what should be the difference between a shallow deck and deep one. Is the cut & dispersal better? how?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Deep is better! I believe that the deep deck will pick up the grass and lift it so it can be cut better. Side discharge grass has someplace to fly out without hitting other grass. Mulching has room to spin around and get cut more before falling. A lot goes on under the deck in a very short time and I feel that the more room for it all to happen the better. Of course there has to be good air flow and that is where some engineering comes in.
  3. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Do you know what the deepest deck is on the market? :waving:
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I think the JD 7 iron deck is about the deepest i've seen, 5.75" deep. I heard Dixie Chopper's deck is 6" deep but I don't know for sure if thats true or not.
  5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Well the Toro SFS deck is The Shallowest Deck avail....Which is also Why its One of the Worst Cutting Decks Avail...& Terrible for Mulching.

Look for at Least 5" to 5.5".
  6. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I have to say that I like my SFS for a few reasons.
    1) The clippings are smaller than those of a chopper
    2) They work well in wet grass.

BUT I had a 44 SFS that I would have to scrape twice a day, my 52 stays clean on its own for weeks at a time.

I guess it depends on the size.

Also look at a walker, they leave an awesome cut and the deck is like 3 inches deep
  7. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

The deepest deck now being sold is the new Husqvarna "Tunnel Ram" at 7" :D
  8. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

i know that Emark has a deep deck but i dont how many inches
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Both of mine are 4-3/4 inches.

It's not how deep the deck is that counts. In fact deck depth can be misleading. If what you think you need is space between the blades and the top of the deck then you need to measure that distance. Any manufacturer can extend the sides of the deck down. They could go to 8,9 or 10 inches. But if they're still using the same spindle housing that they used on a 3 inch deck then they have gained nothing.

Even if you increase the actual blade depth you have to be careful not to go too far. I believe that you could go so far that the air above the blades gets lazy and won't move the clippings as well. You could have great lift but the deck won't do as good a job of discharging as a shallower blade depth.
  10. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

What model is that on?