1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

deep pocket companys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i got a email from one of my clients today asking if i would meet valley crests monthly cost of $80 month (no matter if its 4 wk or 5 in the month) i charge $30 a wk for a 1/4 acre. what should i do. tell them good luck and blow it out their ....... or kiss but and meet the comps cost. the lowest i can go is $95mth

2. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

If that's the lowest you can go I'd stick by it. Losing a customer sucks... But they can't start dictating your profit margin nor how you run your company. Your competition shouldn't either. I'd ask myself and them how satisfied they were with the work. Are they looking for quality or whoever is cheapest. If the second is what they are after... I'd send them a letter wishing them luck with "valley crests".

3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I personally would not do it. Gas and the cost of living is going up. If anything the price should be raised for this reason. It stinks loosing a customer but I think that your time is money you could be doing another job in its place and making more.payup

4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

If it doesn't meet your minimum then you might have to move on.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

just replace them

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

We have Valley Crest around here, they haven't really started trying to take over the residential market yet. They'll probably start this season. They are gonna have a hard time though because there is already a few high volume companies in the area including myself

7. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

id tell them dont let the door hit you in the a$$. I dont lower my prices, if they dont want to pay, that is their choice, but if they end up not being happy with the new company and call me back, most of the time the price is goin up.

8. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

We never move backward in price, or service. The one excpetion is a multi-location client where you can pad your discount by increasing another job for the same client. Remember...there is more than one way to skin a cat!

i.e. reduce his mowing by $120.00 per year to meet the competition, but increase his mulch prices by $150.00. Reduce his personal home by $120.00 per year, but increase his office by the same.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

think about for a moment. 80 bucks a month for twelve months= 960 bucks... 906 divided by 30 is 32 visits per year....its do able for that part of florida I was running from 30-36 visits in orlando. depends on irrigation and type of grass. non irrigated st augustine or bahai its go...IMO. All depends on the maintenence level the client wants.

If you decied to do, make you they signa contract agreeing you will cut the grass "as needed" which in some cases may mean two weeks between visits in the winter or during times of drought or high stress levels of the grass

But in the end, only YOU know your true costs...

10. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Valley crest does all of the lennar/us home community areas of this new 900 home site that most of my clients are in. i heard from another client that his nabor has them do his yard. i blew it off, :sleeping: like i care about what crests does. big mistake. :cry: