Deep Root Feeding equipment

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sulston, Sep 11, 2007.

1. sulston

sulston LawnSite Member

I'm looking into offering deep root fertilization of trees/plants and just wondering if I could get some feedback from those who offer this type of service about what kind of equipment your using. All I could find were the spike type feeders that hook up to a hose and feed liquid, and then there is a Webster deep root feeder which has a 2hp engine that powers a 1 1/2"auger with an attached 20lb hopper that deposits granular fert after the hole is drilled. Couldn't find a single other company that offers a gas powered root feeder. I'd love to hear some reviews on this type of power granular feeder or the liquid spike type or any other options that are available/being used. Thanks, I appreciate any info on this.

2. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

We use a 300 gal split with a ground inject needle and works great. This enables us to us merit inject or arbor green as some of the services for trees and shrubs. Very good $$$$

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Been using a ChemLance for years. It's the best in my opnion.

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

We use 2-200 gallon tanks and a 20 gal nurse tank. One set-up just flip the ball valves. And we use a JD-9 converted with a 4 ft extension and a tip for the injections. Works very well. Quick and simple.

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

JD-9 with "fert lance" from Westheffer in Kansas. Liquid feed. Use Arbor green whenever possible, but possibilities are endless with liquids. Run off 200 gal. spacesaver with 1/2" hose for volume.

6. sulston

sulston LawnSite Member

Hey thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated. Anyone know a good place online to browse some of this equipment?

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Any good spray rig will work. Size depenmds on how much business you will be doing. Used the JD-9 conversion, and Lesco's feeder is very good too.
    I like Arbor Green, Bolster, and Lesco's Macron ferts.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto --- Westheffer bought much of the original ChemLawn parts inventory when TruGreen bought 'em out. This includes ChemLances (fert lance). It features a J-D9 gun. Before that, ChemScape used the plastic ChemLawn gun. Before that (prior to 1981), ChemScape used local hardware/plumbing parts for their root feeders.......they caused many hand blisters.

1/2 inch hose is a must.:usflag: