Deep Root Feeding

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnTamer, Mar 31, 2008.

1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

That grass is the tamed hybrid of your bahia grass. It does need some different cultural conditions from other grasses. It needs salty, alkaline soil to be its best, does not grow well in wet, acidic red clay soils such as is found in the upland areas here. I can imagine it growing well on volcanic cinder and sand, because poor drainage makes the grass prone to dollar spot, leaf spot and take-all disease.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Green

Seashore Paspalum is now used on many golf course in the Caribbean because of the lack of fresh water. It survives best on 2 to 3 parts seawater to one part fresh water. In an experiment in which I witnessed, Seashore paspalum did better with a mix of sea water than straight fresh water. I am thinking Seashore paspalum is native to Hawaii.

Oops a quick google found this.
    http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=15102&select=25010

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hi Phil -- nice to have former ChemScapers on this site. I also remember Jim Moon and Dr. Bob Partyka (recently deceased). ChemScape techs carried briefcases while the lawn jockeys carried clipboards. We considered ourselves a cut above with good reason (you know). And the ChemScape trucks were 40 years ahead of their time -- they looked COOL! Three 200 gallon tanks & two 100 gallon tanks (made by Tuflex) all installed to make a "space age" looking unit. Oh ya......too bad ChemScape went to the big round tank making it look like a lawn truck (but they cut the cost of trucks in half when they did this)....also changing the name to "ChemLawn Tree & Shrub" -- to me that sounded dumb. I remember the ChemLance when it utilized plumbing parts for the gun -- then they switched to the plastic ChemLawn gun -- then they went to the J-D9 gun which is still used today. Westheffer (Lawrence, KS) bought much of ChemLawn's inventory of parts when "Waste Management" bought ChemLawn from the Duke family. The ChemScape days were good ones for sure.:usflag:

4. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Yes that's my point, 50% of the roots in an area 10x as large = low concentration. There are plenty of feeder roots within the dripline to make fertilization effective. Are you also doing Merit treatments beyond the dripline? The 10' tree example is one thing but when you talk about a live oak where the crown is easily 80' accross, you're telling me you're going to put down an acre of fert for each tree? You must be working on a much bigger budget than I am.

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

It is commonly used in Hawaii, however this grass is extremely high maintenance on the wrong soil or if it is inland and away from the coast. It needs salt. This grass will become overrun with grassy weeds if there is not enough salt. I suspect that the usual diseases that this grass is prone to are not active in sodic soils. It is a common observation of even the "landscapers" that Seashore Paspalum is hard to manage if it is not growing on a beachfront property. Atrazine, simazine, Sencor, MSMA or Image must never be used on this grass. Vantage and Acclaim will wipe it out where it is not wanted. Everything I have read about this grass says it is native to South Africa, but is endemic in South America and North America.

6. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

A couple years ago my 30+ year old oak had leaf wilt and I thought it was going to die. I deep root fed it twice the year it was really bad and the next year when it came out it did not have any wilt at all. After 2 years of deep root feeding it is by far the best looking oak around.

7. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

that is a approved method of applying merit 2 oz systemic

8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

i put a disclaimer for any unmarked subsurface obstruction not buried deeper than 2 ft. I poked a hole in a copper propane like scared the crap out of me.

9. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

FYI

He was using powder blue

Feed the trees screwed the lawn

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Haven't hit a gas line.............yet. But I'm sure that will happen sooner or later (I've hit everything else so far):waving: