Deep root Fertilization

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Central 1, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Central 1

Central 1 LawnSite Member

I am looking for a supplier of Davey Arborgreen other than Lesco. They have raised the price in the last week and are making it cost prohibitive. Or does anyone know of a great alternative. Thanks

Jim

2. MaineFert

MaineFert LawnSite Member
    from Maine

We use a company in Massachusetts for our deep root fert. www.sheltertree.com. I am not sure about the shipping to Ohio, but worth checking out.

Jim Allen
    Nutrients PLUS

3. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Man, you're in their back yard. Call Davey and ask who else sells it. Maybe they do? 1-800-445-TREE ask for the Davey Institute and just ask who besides Lesco distributes Arborgreen. Or stop at a branch, maybe they'll sell it to you. It's the whip, that's for sure. I love it.

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Doggett fertilizers are every bit as good as Arbor Green, and they're almost always cheaper (*per pound) !

I've bought Doggett fert through Lesco before; but not for quite a while now.
    I doubt that they'd do it now since they've been eaten by a Deere and all, and are certainly consolidating their SKUs.

But maybe other vendors can help you access it locally too.

* (Price it out per pound and not per bag. Davey's Arbor Green is sold in 40# bags; and Doggett fertilizer is sold in 30# bags.)

Here's the site :
    www.doggettcorp.com

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Estes sells doggett. Excellent material. Don't know if there is an estes in your area.

6. Central 1

Central 1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info guys. Lesco is slowly putting themselves out of business. I live 2 miles from where it all started. Their HQ was in my back yard until 2 yrs ago. I used to like buying from them, but the service centers in our area have gone down hill. Dirty, out of stock, etc. It's almost like no one from the corp office ever visits anymore. I will be buying The Doggett products for our operation This spring. Lesco is trying to sell Arborgreen for $ 57.00 per bag here. Thanks, Jim Beveridge

7. Marcos

Glad I could help!
    :waving:

8. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I have never bought it but it says in their info a #30 bag treats 2000 square feet, FOR $54.00, that a lot of money for tree fertilizer.
    I would definately look for an alternative
    have you tried Sherrill Tree? www.sherrilltree.com
    Have you look at mycorrhizae products for doing the same thing?

9. bflower

bflower LawnSite Member

would check your local davey office. I have seen them sell for a slight markup. just curious what kind of sprayer setup people are running. mechanical vs jet agitation (can you run it though a standard jet lesco tank with a hypro d30). i saw that stuff clog the heavy john bean sprayers. is there a supplier making a liquid emusifiable concentrate that would be easier on sprayers?
    thanks crew

10. Marcos

Are you kidding? :cry:

Never take the advertised 'internet' price as the bottom price
    (unless you're on an e-bay 'no bid' or something)

You've got to get on the HORN and NEGOTIATE with a salesperson!

I didn't pay more than $30.00 / bag for my Doggett fertilizer, and I bought probably only 1/2 skid (about 30-35 bags) 2-3 years ago.