deep root fertilization

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rkk95, Oct 22, 2003.

1. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

I'm just curious, How many of you offer deep root fertilization in the spring and fall to add a little extra income to your programs?

2. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

So, nobody on here fertilizes trees and shrubs?

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Yes I do, great extra income but mixing Arbor Green can be a pain in the ---.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I'm offering deep root fert with Merit and mychorrizae in spring and fall.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

What kind of special application tools do you use?

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing special, just a root feeding needle to inject the fert into the root zone.

7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We trunk inject.

8. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Yep, I do it spring and fall same and, same as Kirby I use Arbor-green. Sparge agitation just won't cut it. I also never refer to it as "Deep root fertilization" as the probe/system I use rarely goes below 10" deep. Besides, most feeder roots are in the first 6" of soil, the ones below that are for stability, moisture etc. No point in going any deeper. I call it "Root Zone" Fert.

9. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, I offer it. I do it spring or fall. I use 16-32-16 have spurge agitation and it works fine. I use a root feeder from lesco but don't care for it much. I am 6'2" and it is a little short for me. I will probably modify it when i get around to it. My target price is $150/hr for ferting and for tree spraying.

Can be tough on the arms if soil is hard. this fall wasn't too bad due to a lot of moisture but also got a lot of splash back for the fert mix because the soil was already soggy.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Ken

Are you Micro or Macro injecting???

Cheryl

Deep root injections are not real effective in sandy soils. They leach out to quickly. Trunk injection is better for quick response and Slow release granules work well in sandy soil.