1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Deep Root Tree Fertlization

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by junebug747, Aug 25, 2007.

1. junebug747

junebug747 LawnSite Member

A friend of mine was telling me about a landscaper she hired that offered deep tree root fertlizing. They use a machine that pushes air into the ground and then pushes organic fertlizer into the ground. Just wondering what the "experts" thought?
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Been doing it for years. It's a long gun that has a speared shaft in it. When you push down, the shaft goes into the ground. Pull the trigger & release product. This is done all the way around the drip line.
  3. junebug747

Really? I've never heard of it before. She said it was neat to watch because the ground moved but none of the grass was disturbed.
  4. MaineFert

MaineFert LawnSite Member
    from Maine

We offer that service as part of our plant health care. It is a great way to relieve compacted soils around a tree, or help a tree recover from construction sites. The fertilizer works wonders for tree health, as well as feeding plant beds. We use products from Dogget that have worked extremely well.
  5. junebug747

How does the machine work? Did you get it because clients were asking you for it? Or was it just another service to provide?
  6. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

The one i have used was just a gun attachment for our lesco 300 gal sprayer. we have pin oak chorisis around here that we used it for all the time. You just bury the wand, pull the trigger and repeat.
  7. MaineFert

MaineFert LawnSite Member
    from Maine

We tie that service into an IPM program. Clients typically aren't aware that a tree is in need of help, unless it is severely damaged. The machine is exactly as Grass Happens explained. Its a large syringe, that injects the fertilizer directly into the root zone. We have a 100, 200 and 300 gallon tanks that we are able to use for tree fert.
  8. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Soil injections are a great tool for materials to be taken up by the trees root system. I do very little tree work, but fish, seaweed, humate and compost tea injections are used very regularly at the company I work for.
  9. junebug747

This machine sounds different. The machine had an air compressor on it and the man who ran it just poured the organic mixture into a hopper. It injected air intor the ground to breakup the soil and then injected a dry fertlizer. I have never heard of the process. I was going to suggest it to my landscaper, but I didn't know what the machine was called.
  10. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I think you may be thinking of an "air spade" system. I am sure you can google it. I am in Houston and someone has advertised it on the local garden show.