Deep trouble need help !!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Et_mtl, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Et_mtl

Et_mtl LawnSite Member

Hi first let me introduce myself , my name is etienne and i do landscaping in montreal canada , so sry if my english is so so its my second language!

I started landscaping 3 years ago for a summer job and now my business is growing really fast and i hadded fertilisation programm for this year.

Now i am having problem with my best client , I have to contract with him one commercial and one residential at his home , i cant afford to loose him.

I started to notice brown spot on the lawn at is commercial property , i was not to worry about it because the lawn there is pretty crappy but today i went to do his house and surprise BROWN Spot , tought really diffuse i am really worry abouth it because he wasnt with me last year for fertilizing and didnt not have such problem , he is also starting to have weed wich i am also worried abouth. Cost here is not an issue i want to do everything i can to fix this.

I will give more detail. The lawn as only been fertilise once this year at the beggining with a 10-0-4 fertilizer ( i went with low number to be sure I wasnt not going to do any damage since i am begginer with fertilizing, but wil definetly change next year). This was done at the middle of may. Now i went back today and decided to apply a organic 5-2-4 slow release fertiliser
    because i didnt want to apply the 10-0-4 because the lawn doesnt seem in a really good shape.

My client have a sprinkler system that waters automatically every night. I cut the grass fairly high 3 inches (used to be 2.5) but i suspect that it was cut to often because since the beggining of the year i went there every week. The blade of my mower are sharpen abouth every month i dont think this is the problem but it might be good to do it more frequently from now on. Also one thing i did different was to mulch the grass when i use to bag it , i suspect this is not helping with the bad weed, so i will go back to bagging (at least for awhile).

What looks really dum is that the brown spot are showing at both is property and havent notice it at any of my other client houses.

Hes a really good client and i cant afford to loose him he also putted lots of trust into me since i am young 22 and he wants to encourage. Damm i feel stuck because i dont want to talk to him abouth the issue because at his home its really not so bad yet couple of really small spot and at the other property the grass is a mess so its not neceserally my fault.

Like you guys probably know herbecide and pestecide are illegal in quebec , so i cant use them. I have a spare bag tough of 22- ?? - 10 or so that also contains herbicide to fight weed. I dont know if i should use it , i am scared to stress the lawn even more then it already his.

Anyways any advice would be appreciate because if the grass at his home start to go worst from now on it will make me look really bad.

Thx to all in advance , by the way this forum is fantastic lots of help and great topic.

Any help is appreciate

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Sounds like a fungus problem. probably dollar spot or brown patch. it may need more fertilizer depending on what was put down last fall. if you temps are still not too hot and staying in the low 80s I would go ahead with the fertilizer application and weed control. then give it 2 good fall treatments with high N and P, I like 34-0-15 for the late fall.
  3. Et_mtl

Et_mtl LawnSite Member

Now i just putted some 5-2-4 + iron organic on it , how long should i wait to preceed with other application and do you think it was a good choice.

This really sucks , the guy that sold me the fertilizer didnt give me exactly what i want and i dont know id the 10-0-4 is good stuff , i will need to do a big clean up with my fertilizing programm.

I will try to go take some pic tommorow if its not raining.

The temperature here is not so good , pretty warm and its been really dry lately above 80 for sure.

I will wait a good 10-14 day before mowing again and figure out what i will do next ... i will also post more info on the herbecide to.

Can I use hebicide as a test on a couple of spot in the grass to see if it works on top of the other fertiliser or i should just wait ...

damm i didnt need this problem now im overflowing with job and lacking time !

Anyways thx for the help

4. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

If you said what kind of grass he had I missed it. A big problem is watering everyday. Cut the irrigation back to once every 5 -7 days and put an inch of water down at the time and water in the morning. If the grass blade ain't wilting, it doesn't need water.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Here is some Canadian red thread fungus: Does it look like this. Read over U of Guelph information. For red thread--do not water at night. I suggest 3 days per week to reduce the average humidity. Also increase the fertilizer nitrogen to a fairly high level. This fungus sometimes disappears about mid-summer. Normally wait at leat 4 weeks between fertilizer applications--but one week interval should be OK if you don't apply excess.
  6. Et_mtl

Et_mtl LawnSite Member

Ok guys so what the plan here

#1 : Call the client to ask him to slow down on the watering (one of the main problem is that the grass is into direct sunlight all day long and i suspect it will dry really quikly , and i dont feel really confortable to call him to tell him he as some kind of lawn problem and he need to stop his irrigation that works only at night , i suspect he will then think i am not to competent , because all those trouble are starting this year)

Well if I have to do this I will no problem but for now i will wait one day and go for some pic tommorow .

What would be the best fert to apply in maybe 2 week after the next cut ??
    my herbecide fert wich i really dont know how to use properly , ore maybe some organic lawn fert ???

Anyways thx for the help guys , i will uptade frequently , i really dont want to loose this one he is my best business and is commercial contract is wort alot to me

Tips are all welcomed
    Thank you
  7. Is it possible to put up some pictures of the brown spots?
  8. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Never water at night...........that's how the turf disease starts. Water in the mornings only. My guess..he was watering every evening for short time periods? Have him start watering every morning for 1/2 - 1 hour per zone....and then after the lawn rebounds cut it back to every second day...then 3rd... and so on. (while increasing the zone times). The goal for this time of year is he should be watering 1 1/2" of water every 5 days.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

10. Et_mtl

Et_mtl LawnSite Member

Here are the pictures , you guys think it might be a blade problem (theres a couple of spot in the grass , its not incredibly bad but i dont want it to become worst) , if so any of you guys know of a good sharpening machine that i can buy instead of going to the store every 2 weeks or so . I use the stock blade that comes with the toro proline.

For the fertilization , its middle of the summer now and ive just put some 5-2-4 + iron organic slow release on it .

What and when should i use next.

I was thinking maybe another application of this one in a couple of week or so and then when spring comes i would put some 0-0-50 to end the season , those this sound good ???

Also would it be good to call the guy to ask him not to water every night , this would be last resort because the problem now is limited to a couple of patches only and i dont want to be alarmist if it will go away by itself with proper care, but if theres real risk of spreading fast i would call him.

Anyways thx on all the insight