1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Deer eating Yews

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by meth, Mar 9, 2009.

1. meth

meth LawnSite Member
    from 10940

Need some help guys - I have some large yews that are approx. 18 years old. They are mature and shaped nicely, until this winter that is. We never had problems with Deer until now - for some reason this year they have eaten them bare - will they gro back? Do I need to pull them out? It would be a shame since they are so mature and nice in the setting we have them. Plus after all this time it would be a hell of a job to get them out.

Any advice as to whether they will survive? If they do I will wrap them each winter going forward to protect them
  2. Blmtlandscapes

Blmtlandscapes LawnSite Member

the yews should be fine, they are really tough. In the future try some kind of deer repellent before the winter. A friend of mine said deerscram is a good product and you just sprinkle it around the shrubs. It gives out a fowl odor that the deers dont like but humans cant smell it. Im not sure though cause i never tried the product but there are definetly a couple different deer repellents out there.
  3. loyd meeks

loyd meeks LawnSite Member

In our 18 years in deer country ( Cherokee County, Oklahoma) we have had many run in's with deer. We have used everything from mothballs,to hot pepper spray made from hot peppers. For young pines we use Irish spring soap. Betty softens it and rubs it on branches. Also uses plastic mesh and ties the soap to limbs. If you have them real bad our all around best is human urine. In height of rut I save urine and using a spray bottle spray things down. Betty had a beautiful bed of roses until the deer stripped everything but thorns one night.
    I also found they don't like fishing line. In some areas we use rebar for post and wrap fishing line from bottom middle and top. They feel it but can't see it and stay back.
  4. igotdiesel2

igotdiesel2 LawnSite Member

Send the Deer to my house. I will gladly let them eat my Yews. Until I pull them out. -Jason
  5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I've tried deer repellents and the soap. Still ate my arbs. 3 years ago I spent 50 bucks on some blueberry netting and bought some of those green metal chain link fence posts. I made a fence all the way around the arbs and the deer have not touched them yet. My neighbor told me I was nuts going through all the trouble, but his last 2 arbs are now transparent. Mine are in the back of my yard so you dont notice the black netting. They are right on the wood line too.
  6. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Fresh cut sweaty human hair in pantyhose!!!! Deer DO NOT like the smell of humans!!! Just ask us fellow hunters.:rolleyes:
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Get a couple of good dogs.
  8. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Or put up a temp deer fence for the season
  9. The Elements Group

The Elements Group LawnSite Senior Member

urinate outside moreoften esp around the yews also human hair works and so does soap all mentioned above will work..... if not try a .306
  10. meth

meth LawnSite Member
    from 10940

would like to try the 306, however my meighbor may not appreciate it:) Like I said this is the first year that they have come to eat the yews so I never had to do anything previously. I hope its just a winter thing and I will put up some temp fencing around them for the winter - will probably look like crap but we'll see. I will also try the soap and maybe head outside a few times when I have to use the head!

Anyway - hopefully they will grow back - it would be an awful lot of work and expense to pull them and replant the area