Deer Issues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A&M Landscaping, Jun 18, 2004.

1. A&M Landscaping

A&M Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a problem at one of my accounts with deer. The people wanted to put in flowers that deer would not eat. So I went to the local nursery to get them. The next morning they had been all eaten by the deer. I am wondering if anyone knows what I can put on the flowers to fix this problem.

2. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

A woodpecker with a machine gun!

Sorry I too have deer problems have 19 roaming outside a garden, the eat everything. tried deer repellant still no good.

3. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

A picture of a good viburnham with 2 rags soaked in deer repellant, it has only now recovered Jun04

no1c.jpg

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

there is a guy here that sells deer resistent plants, I will get ahold of him

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The best thing to do is get a bunch of the little bars of hotel soap. Drill a hole. Put a string through it. And hang them on the bushes like Christmas decorations. Don't laugh is works. I had an old timer tell me that. Every winter I still have all my shrubs. While other don't. Deers don't like anything that smells like human. They usally last for a year. One per small bush, two or more for larger ones.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have heard of taking your hair clippings from a haircut and spread them on the ground around the flowers, shrubs, etc.
    A barber told me this before, and he has the best looking garden, so I guess that it has to work

7. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Human Urine, A piece of Clothing with lots of human sweat on it (shirt, headband).

These need to be replaced after rain.

The bar of soap trick is a good 1. I will try that.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

After a while the deer get used to whatever you use or they wait till it wears off.The only real solution is population control.The funny thing is the people who complain about all of their shrubs being eaten are often the same one's who don't like hunting.Go figure.

9. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

windsocks.also human urine in a ortho mister spray over flowers...

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Milorganite fertilizer is supposed to repel deer. There is a thread in the organic forum about milorganite that addesses this.