1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

deer problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clay duncan, Jan 10, 2008.

1. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i did a landscape job back in october and recently deer have started eating the leaves off alot of the plants and are literally grazing in the freshly planted grass. there are deer tracks every square inch in the lawn. the grass looks like it has been mowed but at this point is still ok. other than a rifle, what can i do to stop this from happening.......clay
  2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Go to a barber shop and get him to save you a bag of human hair, scatter it around the property. If they can't find food elsewhere this want even stop them but human scent keeps them out pretty well.
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Compound bow is an option.
    They have repellents for deer. I would just search the internet. I know of one that is an impact sprinkler that turns on when critters get too close.
  4. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

There are some flowers you can plant that they dont like either. We have alot of deer in our woods because we have a nice food plot for them. They would also eat our garden because it is only 75yds uphill from the clover. We planted Marigolds around the edge of the garden and they worked great.
  5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Deer repellent, dogs work, as do electric fences.
  6. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

Deer Off. Put in pump sprayer and do it once a month.
  7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ive used a product called tree gaurd before with good resukts, 2 apps over the course of the winter.
  8. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Get a beer drink it and wait untill dark and then pee on certin parts of the lawn. Might sound strange but it works and is all natural.
  9. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

noy 100% i will find out what it is called deer x possibly when you plant you drop a cup full in the hole then plant as normal, as the plant grows the repellant goes through the plant the derr will take one bite and leave it. it also comes with a spray that is coyete piss smell bad for 2 days then it ok and the deer dont like it. i used it where the deer were eating everything at a job including holly,barberry,juinpers anything possible. so coytee piss works great

10. so a twelve pack would work real good then. :waving: