Deer problems

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ozd12005, Apr 8, 2008.

1. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that has beautiful lilac bush's and other small shrubs and the deer keep nipping at them. any ideas on how to stop them from eating them? This senior customer has salt blocks and also spends a good amount per week buying apples and other fruit for the deer.
  2. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Lets see... Good Luck they know where the grub is. The only real solution I know that works up here is horse fence.and that looks so ugly most just live with it. I have also heard of sprays that work but have never tried them. However others on here can tell you more about them.
  3. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing I was thinking "what do you expect when you feed the deer" but this old lady is so sweet I would like to try and find some kind of solution to the problem. Any kind of fence isnt going to work considering she has the lilac bushs all over the yard
  4. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

The problem is with them feeding the deer. In my state of Colorado it's against the law to feed deer. Since the deer have been fed by a human its going to be very difficult to stop them from eating their shrubs. What their doing is just making the problem worse.
  5. retiredat49

retiredat49 LawnSite Member

Spread human hair (you can get it from the local barbershop) around the lilacs...deer DO NOT like human scent.
  6. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Oh around here the pee around the area they don't want the deer. Every time ya mow just piss on it.. lol, but serious, they say it works.
  7. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

well I use a remington 870 express 12ga. with a slug barrel..slugs all the way. lol jk
  8. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Go to the local zoo and ask for a small bag of lion dung. Yup, works great. Lesco here sells a product called "hinder" or I should say they used to. Spray on shrubs and walla...

Lesco also has "Deer off" and "Liquid Fence" but have never tried them. Good luck
  9. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

or just google "deer repellant"
  10. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

you could also try clippings from the local barber the human smell will help keep them away some but if she keeps feeding them then she will most likely just have to deal with it. but if all else fails:gunsfirin:gunsfirin:gunsfirin:gunsfirin:gunsfirin