deer repellant what works!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snowmizer, Jan 10, 2004.

1. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

customer of mine is having promblems with deer feeding on his shrubs,asked me what works to get rid of them after hearing just about every remedy possible i was told human hair bagged in nylon and attached to the shrubs will keep them away???? can anyone confirm this?also i guess mothballs work? any ideas??:dizzy:

2. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard about the hair thing, and i've heard about hanging soap outside for a deterant. But something that has worked great for me is Shake Away.

www.critter-repellent.com

Robert.:)

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

We have a problem with deer and elk on rose bushes and for that matter any flowery type bush. I have started using with excelent success, ground jalapeno pepers and water in a spritzer bottle.
    spray on all of the bush. The deer will bother for about a week and then they get the hint. Needs to be applies once a week and then after a rain. After a while you can skip a week here and there and they still wont bother them. Oh they goto the neighbors yard. Trust me. one of my clients neighbors offered to pay me for my secret. I told them I would apply once a week for a set price. Well to say they don't have very nice shrubs, still.

4. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I have used a liquid called Bobex from Southern States and it worked great, but it smells terrible.

5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never had to deal with it. But I have heard the jalapeno peppers, or chili pepper in a spray bottle works.

Probably any thing spicy.

If you're into hot sauces, get some Hot As Hell, or something similar. One drop is enough to light my mouth on fire.:angry:

6. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

I have over 100+ roses and they were an invitation for multiple deer. I tied Irish Spring soap in little pieces with my wifes nylons on each rose. Deer went away. Have to redo every couple of months during the growing season. 1 small piece for each rose. This will work and I use it for my customers when they have same problem.

7. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I believe that it is just a matter of putting something out there with human scent on it. Wether its soap or hair, if the deer smell something out of the ordinary they won't stick around.

8. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

We use this stuff Renodine, don't know if you can get.

http://www.hillier.co.uk/gc/HGC_IS_mar.html javascript:smilie(':gunsfirin')

Have 19 deer on one of my larger sites which come into the gardens after the roses and everything else.

Notice Sat they have now got up the driveway as far as the house!:gunsfirin :gunsfirin

9. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

Deer Off it last 3 months. Its is on page 392 of the gemplers catolog.

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

the soap and hair only work on country deer. if they are urban deer used 2 people it takes hot sauce or something stronger 2 move them on