1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Deere 329D CTL pulls more than 100,000 LBS

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Boss Exc., Feb 21, 2010.

1. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

I had to have a 332 pull out my single axle international about 24k total, it struggled but did it. still dont know about adding 3 times more weight

2. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I know when I asked the question if the tractor was helping on youtube, I was told that the tractor was totally off and in neutral.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

There's not much rolling resistance once you get it going, and it was on hard ground.

4. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

Psshh its like 5 pieces of S*** all tied together, lol. That's impressive but there can't be alot of resistance right?

5. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on how stuck your truck was, it could have been 3 times the weight of the truck to pull it out. And you were probably were pulling it uphill so you were fighting gravity too. Like tigerotor said, the actual tractive effort required isn't really impressive, but dragging a loaded adt looks impressive as hell.

6. ioilyouin

ioilyouin LawnSite Senior Member

Marketing ploy. If you want to impress me, show the startup and have the helpers stand on the ladder. Then we'll talk! And SO WHAT? Anyone else can do the same thing with their equipment, BFD.

7. Skidsteerman

Skidsteerman LawnSite Senior Member

Main thing is the unit has to be able to gain traction to start pulling the weight and maintain it.

BTW, I saw that in person and while it past the grand stands in front of us, it was actually pulling up a 2% grade.

It was done for promotion... but your talking about it right?!?:waving:

8. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain LawnSite Member

Is it a big deal or not? Who knows. Only way to know would be to hook up some other machines and try the same thing. Problem is, none of you would believe the outcome if other brands failed. It would be "rigged" or the operator would be doing it wrong or some other excuse anyway. Either way, that's a heck of a lot of weight to pull with a skid loader, let alone up a grade.

9. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

As skidsteerman said, we're talking about it. Deal -- big or small -- worked. I'm just saying it's an innovative thing to do.

And Mr. Rain, personally, I think that a certain other brand might not get the job done... I left out that remark on my first reply because I think a certain "valve" would kick in for that other brand. :laugh:

That being said, marketing. /shrugs

10. Skidsteerman

Skidsteerman LawnSite Senior Member

As Deere named it... the "Anti-Work" valve;)